lawn mower issues....

Doesn't fit in the other categories? Maybe just want to post up some humor or random happening? This is the place for it.
CCRBUM
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

lawn mower issues....

Post by CCRBUM » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:38 pm

ok so I'm not a small engine repair man and I need some help trouble shooting this thing before I blow it up... its a Ariens riding mower with a 10HP briggs and Stratton engine. A few weeks ago while mowing it decided to cut out.. messed around with it but no luck... changed the spark plug, oil, fuel line, emptied out the gas tank and refilled it, blown out the carb and still won't run... it'll fire up and then die. I picked up some starter fluid and tried that today and it would run for like 5 seconds and then die... I don't have the money to take it somewhere to get it fixed but Im starting to thing that maybe I need a new carburetor? I also need to try buying gas somewhere else and putting in it... maybe it doesn't like Krogers gas?

RecoilSensitive
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Re: lawn mower issues....

Post by RecoilSensitive » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:44 pm

I would take the carb off and clean it well.

also check and make sure the controls are not stuck (getting correct air/ fuel

there are often times springs either coil or flat that operate this control if stuck the mower wont run because too much fuel or lack of fuel
"But now," he said, "take your money and a traveler's bag. And if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36 NLT)

bigelowe
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time

Post by bigelowe » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:25 pm

Maybe a carb rebuild,springs diaphragm and or needle valve. Not to hard of a job.
Not everyone can be a winner or get a trophy, we are raising a society full of pu**ies

2nd place is the 1st place loser.

Currently looking for that unicorn.

JustShootIt
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 3 times

Post by JustShootIt » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:00 pm

Will it start then die without using starter fluid....or just start and die when using starter fluid?
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."(Edmund Burke)

JustShootIt
Founding Father
Founding Father

Post by JustShootIt » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:02 pm

It def sounds like a gas or air problem. Are you sure all gas lines are good? A simple crack in gas line is enough cause issue like you describe. Start, then immediately die....electric or manual choke?
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."(Edmund Burke)

CCRBUM
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by CCRBUM » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:05 pm

manual choke. brand new gas line... it'll sometimes start for a second without the starter fluid but is more successful with it. either way it still dies.

JustShootIt
Founding Father
Founding Father

Post by JustShootIt » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:12 pm

A lot of those have a plastic bowl on carb....they get old and crack easy...may not leak, but cause air to get in line...

Take off gas line and see if gas is getting to carb would be my first thing to check.

If it is, I would just take carb apart and clean. They r rather simple, but have ports that can clog easy. Rebuild is rarely helpful IMO...Not much to go wrong with those carbs other than blockages...

CCRBUM
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by CCRBUM » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:59 pm

ok. I'm at the firehouse tomorrow so I'll mess with it on friday and see what I can make happen. I'll give an update on it then.

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:47 pm

I also suggest cleaning the carb bowl. I would put a cap full of motor oil in the spark plug hole. I have had mowers do what you describe and that usually works. Blows some smoke for a few seconds once it starts and then it's good.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk 2

etownguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 5 times

Post by etownguy » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:25 am

a rebuild kit is really cheap, mine had similar issues it just stopped pumping fuel. a rebuild kit fixed it and it has been right ever since.

CCRBUM
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by CCRBUM » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:19 am

still no joy on the mower.. gonna try to find a rebuild kit for it and see if that'll help. Also gonna see if I can find someone local who can look at it and do a diagnosis for free or cheap.

Return to “Everything Else”