A SEAL Sniper Instructor’s Review of The Movie Lone Survivor

Doesn't fit in the other categories? Maybe just want to post up some humor or random happening? This is the place for it.
ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

A SEAL Sniper Instructor’s Review of The Movie Lone Survivor

Post by ChopperDoc » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:09 pm

http://sofrep.com/30510/seal-sniper-ins ... -survivor/

Brandon Webb

If you don’t want to read on then I’ll just save you the trouble, and get straight to the point. It’s a great movie, go see it.

I was invited to attend a screening of Lone Survivor in New York last week, and invited a few friends of SOFREP to attend (including Ian our radio producer) with me. I was excited about the movie but secretly hoping Peter Berg did right by Marcus, and his book since the movie has produced some drama surrounding Dan Bilzerian’s role in the film. The movie didn’t disappoint. Few movies in Hollywood do right by the military men (and women) they represent, but this isn’t one of those.

The scene where they make initial Taliban contact on the mountain slope is intense, and my back, and head hurt just watching the falling scenes.

My only criticism? I thought it was a mistake to put Marcus in a supporting role in the film, it felt awkward to me to see him on screen as one of the SEALs knowing he was the hero of the story. This may be my own personal bias, and because I know, and trained Marcus when he went through the SEAL sniper course.

Ben Foster get’s a 5.0 eval from me on his portrayal of Matt “Axe” Axelson. I know Axe as one of my personal student mentor candidates from sniper school, a great guy, and the consummate operator. Ben nailed it, I felt like I was watching Axe all over again.

One of my favorite parts of the book is the complex cultural dynamic that existed (ultimately saved Luttrell’s life) between the local tribe elders, and the Taliban. If you haven’t done your research on Pashtunwali, the un-written code of ethics that govern the Pashtun, it’s worth looking into.

Berg, and his actors did a great job honoring the men that gave their lives on that lonely Afghan mountainside.

Go see it, and let me know what you think.

Read more: http://sofrep.com/30510/seal-sniper-ins ... z2nZXL4uRL
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Re: A SEAL Sniper Instructor’s Review of The Movie Lone Surv

Post by jackalo626 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:39 pm

I want to watch this. Ben Foster is good in everything he does.

Roman
Been liked: 0

Post by Roman » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:04 am

Isnt brandon webb the same asshole who is trying to get universal registration?
I live my life, you live yours

"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."
- Thomas Jefferson.

Glock 17
Glock 26
AR-15: PSA 16" no frills.
Remington 870

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:45 am

Roman wrote:Isnt brandon webb the same asshole who is trying to get universal registration?
Yes I do believe he is.

etownguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 5 times

Post by etownguy » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:53 pm

Mk Walberg is in it too. and he is the biggest hypocrite of them all about guns...

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by ChopperDoc » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:59 pm

yep and yep on all accounts.
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

Return to “Everything Else”