Open Range is getting ridiculous

Doesn't fit in the other categories? Maybe just want to post up some humor or random happening? This is the place for it.
Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Open Range is getting ridiculous

Post by Wyldman » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:50 pm

My neighbor's son came over yesterday to help me with some of the yard work I was doing. During the course of talking during our chores, he told me his mother was going to take him to go shoot his .22 at Open Range when we were done. He also mentioned that he didn't have any ammo for his rifle, so, I offered to pay him in .22 shells rather than cash, which thrilled him to no end.

I gave him 4 boxes of brand new Blazer .22LR ammo as his pay.

I went over a few minutes ago to ask how it had gone yesterday, and his mother told me that they would not allow them to use any ammo they had brought with them, they insisted that they had to buy it from Open Range, and then only allowed them to buy one box.

I have never really liked the people at Open Range, and have really disliked the stupid policies they impose on people, but this really pisses me off. This 11 year boy got seriously disappointed, and his mother was badly taken advatage of by these people. This kid has the initiative and the desire to work for what he wants and then has to face this kind of stupidity when he wants to something as simple as spend an afternoon shooting with his mom.

He spends next weekend with his worthless old man, but the following weekend, I have promised to take them out to our club and let them shoot for as long as they like, for free. This kid deserves better than to be treated like this.

Open Range has seen the last penny of my money that they'll ever get. I'd rather put up with the range nazi at KCR than ever set foot in that place agan.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 336 times
Been liked: 92 times

Re: Open Range is getting ridiculous

Post by Niceguy » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:02 pm

I've heard quite a few stories about Open Range but have never had a problem with them other than being to damn expensive. Occasionally you can find a fair deal though. I'm not friends with anyone of them or even know any of them. (Although I've seen 2 or 3 girls there I would love to get to know...hahaha) I only shoot league there and occasionally a little in the winter when the days are short and weather is shitty though. What was their reasoning for not being able to shoot the Blazer? I shoot Blazer .22lr once a month and never bought a round of anything from them other than 5.7x28 when I rented the pistol to see how I liked it. Hell, they are even allowing steel/aluminum for now with the ammo shortage going on.

CESTILL345
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by CESTILL345 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:03 pm

CAN YOU SAY BULLSHIT!

Ian
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Ian » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:06 pm

I've only been to open range once, went with my dad and he was treated like shit. He had taken some non brass rounds and was literally yelled at for it. He had never been there or too a range really. The range officer actually pulled him by his shirt when he layed his gun down. We left faster then rounds can hit the ground.
"Not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood, restless harbingers of violence and bloodshed, knowing no other path." Robert Howard

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:07 pm

niceguyr6 wrote:I've heard quite a few stories about Open Range but have never had a problem with them other than being to damn expensive. Occasionally you can find a fair deal though. I'm not friends with anyone of them or even know any of them. (Although I've seen 2 or 3 girls there I would love to get to know...hahaha) I only shoot league there and occasionally a little in the winter when the days are short and weather is shitty though. What was their reasoning for not being able to shoot the Blazer? I shoot Blazer .22lr once a month and never bought a round of anything from them other than 5.7x28 when I rented the pistol to see how I liked it. Hell, they are even allowing steel/aluminum for now with the ammo shortage going on.
I have no idea, I simply relay what they told her yesterday. I sincerely wish I had been there, they would not have pulled this shit on me.

Yes, I am pissed off over this crap! Can you tell?

I am not asking anyone to do or not do anything. I am saying that if this is how they are going to treat a woman taking her son out for an afternoon of shooting, then they are killing their own business, and have made an enemy in me. Ya'll can do as you please, but I won't be doing business with them ever again. I had a bad taste in my mouth with them over previous personal dealings, but this is the final straw.
Last edited by Wyldman on Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
IN GOD WE TRUST

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 76 times

Post by KYgundude » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:09 pm

Something is not lining up for me here. The only time OpenRange ( at least with me in shooting there for 2 years ) has said I can't shoot my own ammo is if it's not brass cased Or if you are renting their weapons. Am I missing something here Wyld? Are you saying they brought their own rifle and ammo and OR said they can't use it? I'm feeling like there is some confusion somewhere.

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:16 pm

KYgundude wrote:Something is not lining up for me here. The only time OpenRange ( at least with me in shooting there for 2 years ) has said I can't shoot my own ammo is if it's not brass cased Or if you are renting their weapons. Am I missing something here Wyld? Are you saying they brought their own rifle and ammo and OR said they can't use it? I'm feeling like there is some confusion somewhere.
Unfortunately, that's exactly what they said, according to my neighbor, who is not one to make shit up, so I take her at her word.

If you choose to doubt, that's your right, do as you see fit, but I will not stand for this. Telling me I couldn't pick up my own brass was bad enough, but this is bullshit.
IN GOD WE TRUST

Ian
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Ian » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:16 pm

Pretty sure he meant the boy took his. 22 rifle and the round wyld had paid him with to OR.
"Not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood, restless harbingers of violence and bloodshed, knowing no other path." Robert Howard

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 76 times

Post by KYgundude » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:19 pm

Wyldman wrote:
KYgundude wrote:Something is not lining up for me here. The only time OpenRange ( at least with me in shooting there for 2 years ) has said I can't shoot my own ammo is if it's not brass cased Or if you are renting their weapons. Am I missing something here Wyld? Are you saying they brought their own rifle and ammo and OR said they can't use it? I'm feeling like there is some confusion somewhere.
Unfortunately, that's exactly what they said, according to my neighbor, who is not one to make shit up, so I take her at her word.

If you choose to doubt, that's your right, do as you see fit, but I will not stand for this. Telling me I couldn't pick up my own brass was bad enough, but this is bullshit.
Wyld. I'm not doubting you. I'm simply making sure I understand what happened. This is not their listed policy. I'd have bitched at the manager.

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:27 pm

I have said it from day one, the guy is a tool! He was doomed to fail from day one, and if he dose survive its because he pulls shit ass crap like you cant shoot your own ammo and other ghey crap like that. It reminds me of the Hollywood gun club from Beverly hills cop, a bunch of coffee shop shooters , strait up GHEY. The guy got on ARFCOM and demanded that we support him as he was a 2nd supporter , yet would not let us run full auto with our ammo, no cheap ammo allowed. That grab my shirt shit will get you throat punched, or snatch an eyeball out your hollywood head! I got nothing for the place.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 336 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Niceguy » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:49 pm

I'm not doubting anything I hear about this place as I've heard a lot from numerous people. Just saying I've not really had any bad luck there. If ever I had any issues from them like any of the stories I've heard, I wouldn't go back either. I enjoy the league shooting and plan to try out the GSSF starting this week but have zero issues with never shooting there again if they ever pissed me off. He is obviously looking for the new shooter and wealthy clientele just from his prices alone and how neat and clean and nice the place is. I don't guess I've ever spoken to the owner.

dbh
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by dbh » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:04 pm

Right after I got my SBR, I went there around 11:00 am. I wanted to dial my T-1 in and get a few hundred rounds through it before i ran it in the next RWI Course. They had to turn the lights on for me in the rifle range. I started shooting (no one stayed there but they watch you through cameras). After a while, a guy came in and said that I couldn't shoot faster than one round every 4 seconds. I thought WTF but slowed down. Later on I shot standing (remember, I am the only one in the rifle range). He came back in and said that I could only shoot while seated. I asked him if any of these rules were posted anywhere. He said " Well....no!"

I would go back to sight in a scope or red dot only....or to ask that blonde to marry me !!! :-)

Ian
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Ian » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:19 pm

dbh wrote:Right after I got my SBR, I went there around 11:00 am. I wanted to dial my T-1 in and get a few hundred rounds through it before i ran it in the next RWI Course. They had to turn the lights on for me in the rifle range. I started shooting (no one stayed there but they watch you through cameras). After a while, a guy came in and said that I couldn't shoot faster than one round every 4 seconds. I thought WTF but slowed down. Later on I shot standing (remember, I am the only one in the rifle range). He came back in and said that I could only shoot while seated. I asked him if any of these rules were posted anywhere. He said " Well....no!"

I would go back to sight in a scope or red dot only....or to ask that blonde to marry me !!! :-)
That blonde probably has more baggage in a relationship then OR has un posted rules.

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:46 pm

Ian wrote:
dbh wrote:Right after I got my SBR, I went there around 11:00 am. I wanted to dial my T-1 in and get a few hundred rounds through it before i ran it in the next RWI Course. They had to turn the lights on for me in the rifle range. I started shooting (no one stayed there but they watch you through cameras). After a while, a guy came in and said that I couldn't shoot faster than one round every 4 seconds. I thought WTF but slowed down. Later on I shot standing (remember, I am the only one in the rifle range). He came back in and said that I could only shoot while seated. I asked him if any of these rules were posted anywhere. He said " Well....no!"

That blonde probably has more baggage in a relationship then OR has un posted rules.
Corn hole that bitch , and leave her feeling dirty and worthless.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:29 pm

I had no plans to go there and definitely won't be for sure now. Can't collect your own brass, have to buy their ammo, can't shoot aluminum (typically), expensive, sit down to shoot rifles, 1 rd every 4 seconds........have fun with that. Come to think of it I think one of the worst ran industries I have ever seen is the shooting range industry. It's like they try and piss off customers and make hoops to jump through while hiring employees to interact with the public that absolutely hate customers and humans in general. Note to all people who apply for customer relations jobs: if you apply for the job then you better like people and want to assist them. Do not apply and think you will treat them terrible because your job will end up firing you or letting you run their business into the ground and then you will be unemployed anyway.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by WLJ » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:32 pm

Hey you could always go to KCR and get yelled at by the Range Nazi because your chamber flag is the wrong brand or color.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:33 pm

WLJ wrote:Hey you could always go to KCR and get yelled at by the Range Nazi because your chamber flag is the wrong brand or color.
Quit going there as well. If I do choose to go to these places, I don't feel guilty because my $10 once every couple years isn't keeping their doors open.

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 102 times

Post by Toddstang » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:19 pm

Never been to Open Range and never plan to go after hearing this.

nemo
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 165 times

Post by nemo » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:46 pm

Like was said in the very beginning, the range is an airsoft range the almost caters to firearm people.
Oh, how so high they fly........ only further to fall.

-Life

dbh
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by dbh » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:54 pm

I was allowed to pick up my brass when I was the only one in the rifle range. Never tried in the pistol range.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:56 pm

We need our own range.
New Haven ain't bad but you have to backup to the side of the building to get 100yds out of it. Plus it's an hour's drive for me.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:05 pm

WLJ wrote:We need our own range.
New Haven ain't bad but you have to backup to the side of the building to get 100yds out of it. Plus it's an hour's drive for me.
100% correct.

etownguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 5 times

Post by etownguy » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:17 pm

If my range was MY property any one could come out when ever they want especially if you help maintain it. But the in-laws wouldn't like it much.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:37 pm

edit: nevermind.

Vividia
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Vividia » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:12 pm

How odd. I have shot at Open Range dozens of times. I have shot ammo I have bought from them some, but by far have shot more of my own ammo including reloads and never had a problem. I pick up all my rifle brass, and always take my revolver brass, and pick up some of my semi-auto brass, or as much as I want to bend over and pick up, that is.

I will say that the last few times I have been there I am seeing lots more new faces behind the counter and as range officers. Perhaps they are total noobs who should not be working a range.

I have no problem with the brass only rule, it's their range and if I want to shoot there I have to follow their rules.

I also have no problem with no steel core projectiles, those things can mess up the fixtures quick.

Again, no problem with only allowing their ammo in the guns they rent. Liability for one thing, and they don't want somebody testing their hot +P loads in their guns for another.

I think the "slow" firing comes from muzzle rise that often accompanies fast shooting, especially from those who are not experienced with same. A rising muzzle would be shooting into the hardware.

Generally, I have been allowed to do what I want by the range officers who know me. They do allow standing shooting in the rifle lanes when they know you and how you handle yourself, and all the lanes aren't full. The only thing you have to do is move the target up to the middle of the corrugated so you aren't shooting at the floor.

Next time I go there, I will try to get some clarification from them I can't believe some of the crap I am hearing these days. If they have lost their minds, then maybe they have lost my business.
Mexican Kerry wrote:Except for Viv. I predict she will be the leader of a group that roams the countryside pillaging for survival.
It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. - Daniel Webster

Return to “Everything Else”