The truth about the French Army

All things related to the veterans of our Armed Forces. Thank you for your service!
GPtuners
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

The truth about the French Army

Post by GPtuners » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:35 am

I really enjoyed this series:

http://www.breachbangclear.com/site/10- ... -army.html
http://www.breachbangclear.com/site/10- ... wrong.html
http://www.breachbangclear.com/site/10- ... ights.html

If it's too long for you, this sums it up:

The French military is pretty damn good. They’re not perfect, but neither are we. I saw French troops and commanders make mistakes and bad calls, I heard Joes grumbling about bad leadership. I’ve seen the same thing in the US Marines and Army. The French have a few quirks, but overall they’re extremely dedicated, proficient and brave.

And now we get to my point.

Guys, I didn’t write all this just for entertainment value. I also wrote it as a plea. I’d ask that Americans, especially American warriors, reconsider any negative views they might have about French troops.

The French went to war in Afghanistan, and have lost almost a hundred men killed, not because France was attacked. They fought for us, because we were attacked. And they hung in for years, taking casualties but not quitting the fight. They didn’t pull their major forces out until they began taking serious losses from green-on-blue attacks. I don’t blame them one bit for refusing to support a nation whose troops are murdering them.

Today the French are fighting our common terrorist enemy in Africa, taking losses but beating the enemy senseless. They deserve praise and respect for what they did in Afghanistan and what they continue to do today. Old jokes about rifles only being dropped once, or “satirical” articles about French troops trying to surrender, aren’t just stupid clichés. They’re blatant insults toward brave, honorable men who figuratively stood shoulder to shoulder with us as a nation and literally stood shoulder to shoulder with us as soldiers.

Let’s drop the bad comedy routines, and show them the respect they’ve earned.

Respectfully,

Chris Hernandez
Last edited by GPtuners on Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Re: The truth about the French Army

Post by ChopperDoc » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:39 am

I enjoyed their field rations.

French soldiers took the ribbing we gave them about white flags and weapons only dropped once in stride, as any soldier would.

Never had any complaints with the ones I worked with. When it was time to get to work they were professionals to the core.
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by WLJ » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:45 am

It was their upper leadership that collapsed in WW-II, not the soldiers. The soldiers fought as hard as any other when given the chance.
Last edited by WLJ on Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

Vividia
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Vividia » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:46 am

Seems to me, as a student of history, that France has not suffered from a poor standing army, but pitiful leadership. With few exceptions, this has been going on maybe since the times of Charlemagne.

The Partisans during WWII are an example of the tenacity of the French people. The leadership is and has been exemplary of how not to run a country.
Mexican Kerry wrote:Except for Viv. I predict she will be the leader of a group that roams the countryside pillaging for survival.
It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. - Daniel Webster

Return to “Veteran Affairs”