Meat Grinder Suggestions

For the ladies. Women CCDW classes, female shooters, horse riders, ladies who enjoy the outdoor life and good times. A forum just for you.
ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Meat Grinder Suggestions

Post by ChickenLady » Wed May 02, 2012 8:37 am

I'm just keep getting more and more self taught on things... I should really quit..

So I am going to start making my own sausages and grinding my own hamburger. I've been looking at either getting a attachment for my kitchenaid mixer or buying a meat grinder from Cabella's.

Suggestions?
Livewire wrote:CL, the most sought after chicken farming insurance agent in kentucky
Livewire wrote:You're cooking has bought you a team of body guards wiling to follow you around at school

Harleyx2
KAC Member
KAC Member

Re: Meat Grinder Suggestions

Post by Harleyx2 » Wed May 02, 2012 9:05 am

Get a meat grinder, that's what its made for. A lot of those do it all things do a lot of things but not everything well. When i was a kid we ground all our sausage. And made a lot of meat spreads, one was baloney with mayo, cheese, pimentos and sweet picklets that was a poor man's sandwich, i tried it with turkey and low fat mayo and it was good. Just remember you get what you pay for. PS we named her Becky

JustShootIt
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 3 times

Post by JustShootIt » Wed May 02, 2012 9:06 am

Buy a good one.....the attachment deals have been in a flop in my experience

Even moderate use its nice to have a good one....

We got one at an auction....it an older "commercial" type and it works great....not used ones from Cabelas personally, but hear they do the job
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."(Edmund Burke)

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Wed May 02, 2012 9:08 am

K. Thanks guys.

I was a little concerned with the attachment one not being able to handle what I want to do. I've also read good things abou tthe Cabella's ones. Guess I'll drop the cash and get one of those.
Livewire wrote:CL, the most sought after chicken farming insurance agent in kentucky
Livewire wrote:You're cooking has bought you a team of body guards wiling to follow you around at school

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Wed May 02, 2012 12:27 pm

My dad bought his from Northen Hydrulics
It has a crank that you can add a motor and v-belt to it.

Whootsinator
Little Butthole

Post by Whootsinator » Wed May 02, 2012 5:00 pm

Rachel, knowing you, if you don't buy a quality grinder you're going to hate life. I've used three different grinders (one cheap new, one moderate new, and one quality but dull/old), and they all sucked. I'd recommend going big or not dealing with it.
"I don't retreat; I kick ass in the other direction."

Paula

Post by Paula » Wed May 02, 2012 5:16 pm

We have this one:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

we only use it for deer or if we have something butchered. But it has worked well.

If you don't have a vacuum sealer, you'll want one of those.
Ky CCDW Instructor
NRA Refuse To Be a Victim Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
Owner Edgewise Knives....

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Wed May 02, 2012 10:12 pm

Whootsinator wrote:Rachel, knowing you, if you don't buy a quality grinder you're going to hate life. I've used three different grinders (one cheap new, one moderate new, and one quality but dull/old), and they all sucked. I'd recommend going big or not dealing with it.
What are you trying to say about me? :lol:

Although you are correct, I'll be pissed if what I buy sucks ass. I'll just drop a hundred or so and get a good quality one. I must. I can drive crap cars but I'm serious with my kitchen appliances, utensils, and gadgets.

God I'm way too domesticated...

Skits

Post by Skits » Wed May 02, 2012 10:48 pm

I have two grinders that I have bought from cabelas. The first was the 1/3 horsepower. Bought it when I first started processing my own deer. Haven't had any problems with it during the 6 years owning it. After gun season I saw they had put the grinders on sale and bought a 3/4 horsepower. I have yet to use it so no review yet. The difference between the two is the 1/3 hp has plastic gears and the 3/4 hp has metal. We usually processed 2-3 deer with the 1/3 hp and it did fine. Planning on shooting more does so I wanted the upgrade.

To answer you question, I guess it depends on how much your planning on grinding and price you wanna pay. My personnel belief it buy bigger than you think you will need.

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Thu May 03, 2012 8:17 am

Thanks Skits!

It will basically be like my canner: see two good uses a year. By good uses I mean a couple marathon weekends of use. Then it goes on a shelf until I'm ready to go nuts again.

I'm currently watching their sales now :)

I like their products and have a couple things for camping from them that are amazing!

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Thu May 03, 2012 8:57 am

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Home-Cab ... t104364180

This is the one I'm looking at. Probably will not purchase till June or July this year since I have no use fro one right this second. But the reviews are good and everything I can find online is good too.

So I guess I'll be buying that soon.

Return to “Ladies Section”