I'm A Little Worried...

Like to live in the wilds, or just camp? This is the board for you. All things survival and bushcraft related here.
Harb
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

I'm A Little Worried...

Post by Harb » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:51 pm

It's 5 days till, possibly, the most important day in my lifetime. I've got material preps and peace with God and man. Yet, I'm still irritated that I wasn't able to work in some professional training. I went from school to a demanding summer job and now I'm back in school again. Every six months or so I've had to move to a completely new location where I know very few people. I've tried to get my body into shape only to discover that I have a torn meniscus in my knee and failing with my weight goals.

In other words: I'm not ready and it's my fault. Land navigation? Nope. Buddy team movement? Nope. Timed 1-mile runs in full combat load? Nope. Medical training? Nope. Long-range precision marksmanship? I wish.

Am I alone in this? You have to take care of your responsibilities but I can't get rid of his nagging feeling that I've been lazy.

Tyler
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times

Re: I'm A Little Worried...

Post by Tyler » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:35 pm

For most situations where things have gone wrong food and water are top priority. Just below those is your ability to defend those materials. If you've got those things covered you're way ahead of the game.
Height Supremacist

shelbygoat
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by shelbygoat » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:38 pm

1 mile runs in full combat load....in 5 days....you better get to training lol

ranger school, sapper school, SFAS?!

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:42 am

Give us your address, we will come and help you. (hoping you don't watch the Walking Dead)

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by ChopperDoc » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:26 am

Not much you can do on the physical fitness side within 5 days.

On the other stuff. Read. You won't get the same training as actually doing it, but reading the TCCC manual (it is available online) is better than nothing at all.

Reading the Army survival manual.

Read the Army Ranger Guide.

Read the land nav FM and get a compass. Practice reading the map. If you get a chance this weekend, practice that on some short walking trips. Even if you can't do well with an azimuth and pace count, you can learn terrain association. Honestly, that is what I (and I imagine most others) use most often anyway. learn how to orient the map to where you are and find yourself on the map based on terrain features.

Dry fire practice with your weapon.

There are a few things you can do in the next 5 days. Will you be an expert? Not by a long shot. But who of really is? Do what you can do and keep a positive attitude.
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

o3rugby1

I'm A Little Worried...

Post by o3rugby1 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:35 am

Well sounds stupid but works. Ive been thru my share of schools (89-94) Start stretching. Stretch all day. Short walks. Dont over do it. Your mind will play games. It will tell you to stop (more like F this.) but you cant. If u start stretching all day every day until class you will have a decent chance. Dont let your mind play into it and work through the pain until something breaks or you quit breathing.

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by ChopperDoc » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:08 am

I will say this, get into a class as soon as you can. If there is one piece of advice I can give is that "shooting" your gun and "running" (fighting) with your gun are two different things.

My courses at RWI (and other places) have let me test my equipment to see what works and what does not. I cannot get that same level of gear testing by sitting behind a bench. I got a Glock to fail, I got an XDm to fail, I got an AR to fail, I got optics to fail, I found problems with the way I was wearing my gear, the gear I selected to carry stuff in, and in how much ammo needs to be in my basic load (hint, 4 mags is not enough). I would have NEVER known this had it not been for the realistic training provided by RWI.

My answers may not be your answers. You won't find those answers until you go test your stuff.

Put that on your priority list. Even if you are out of shape (I am) it would be better if you can "walk" through the training now, learn the info, get some perspective and test your gear, then practice and repeat it later as your level of physical fitness improves.
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

Robert Paulson
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Robert Paulson » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:24 pm

ChopperDoc wrote:I will say this, get into a class as soon as you can. If there is one piece of advice I can give is that "shooting" your gun and "running" (fighting) with your gun are two different things.

My courses at RWI (and other places) have let me test my equipment to see what works and what does not. I cannot get that same level of gear testing by sitting behind a bench. I got a Glock to fail, I got an XDm to fail, I got an AR to fail, I got optics to fail, I found problems with the way I was wearing my gear, the gear I selected to carry stuff in, and in how much ammo needs to be in my basic load (hint, 4 mags is not enough). I would have NEVER known this had it not been for the realistic training provided by RWI.

My answers may not be your answers. You won't find those answers until you go test your stuff.

Put that on your priority list. Even if you are out of shape (I am) it would be better if you can "walk" through the training now, learn the info, get some perspective and test your gear, then practice and repeat it later as your level of physical fitness improves.

Ditto

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 57 times

I'm A Little Worried...

Post by ssracer » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:37 pm

Sound advice there

Kadnine
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Kadnine » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:29 am

Harb? You're among friends. If the SHTF, we'll find you ;)

- Keith
~~~

"'...what it is to be a bondservant thou knowest full well, but of freedom thou hast never yet made trial, to know whether it be a sweet thing or not. For if ever thou hadst experience thereof, thou wouldest counsel us to fight for it not with spears only but with axes.' Thus the Spartans answered Hydarnes." - Herodotus

~~~

DDgunslinger

Post by DDgunslinger » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:42 am

ChopperDoc wrote:I will say this, get into a class as soon as you can. If there is one piece of advice I can give is that "shooting" your gun and "running" (fighting) with your gun are two different things.

Very well said

Harb

Post by Harb » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:26 pm

Kadnine wrote:Harb? You're among friends. If the SHTF, we'll find you ;)

- Keith
Thanks buddy. There'll be room in the pillbox for you.

Harb

Post by Harb » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:27 pm

Thanks for the tip. I'll try to get into RWI over Xmas break.

shelbygoat
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by shelbygoat » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:30 am

bye harb, enjoy the woods

Looksdeadtome

Post by Looksdeadtome » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:45 pm

In all honestly no one is ever 110% ready IMO. You will discover things you should/could have done. It is how you handle it mentality that will get you through it. Shtf I hope we all find each other. Will take a vast number of skills to survive. Lone wolf won't work IMO.

Return to “Survival/Bushcraft”