Wooden Spoon Thread 2.0

Like to live in the wilds, or just camp? This is the board for you. All things survival and bushcraft related here.
Kadnine
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Wooden Spoon Thread 2.0

Post by Kadnine » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:43 pm

Anyone else out there caught the whittling bug? This is about as far as I can take my second spoon this weekend. My hands are cramped up something awful. The wood is just too dry to work easily, and, to my dismay, I found a hidden crack running along the underside of the bowl.
IMG_20130616_123006.jpg
IMG_20130616_123115.jpg
On th upside, however, the new Fiskars hatchet works like a charm! And just look at that pile of dry tinder I have for the next camping trip! ;)

- Keith
~~~

"'...what it is to be a bondservant thou knowest full well, but of freedom thou hast never yet made trial, to know whether it be a sweet thing or not. For if ever thou hadst experience thereof, thou wouldest counsel us to fight for it not with spears only but with axes.' Thus the Spartans answered Hydarnes." - Herodotus

~~~

nemo
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 162 times

Re: Wooden Spoon Thread 2.0

Post by nemo » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:29 pm

Try using a 50/50 mix of isopropyl alcohol and water in spray bottle. Keep surface damp and it make for easier carving. Hokey sounding but works great.
Oh, how so high they fly........ only further to fall.

-Life

Kadnine
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Kadnine » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:34 pm

I'll try that, nemo. Thanks!

Need to start with much greener stock, in general. This hunk-o-firewood dealio works as a survival exercise, but just won't produce the fine finished stuff I'm chasing. I can draw, I can paint, I can camp, I can hunt terrorists, even carry a tune.... but can't seem to make a decent spoon. But I think I've found my new hobby.

Also, where'd you get that hook-knife for your spoon and cup? (Tip for those out there who wanna bend a stamped steel knife into a a hook knife on the cheap? Take it from me. Doesn't work.)

- Keith
~~~

"'...what it is to be a bondservant thou knowest full well, but of freedom thou hast never yet made trial, to know whether it be a sweet thing or not. For if ever thou hadst experience thereof, thou wouldest counsel us to fight for it not with spears only but with axes.' Thus the Spartans answered Hydarnes." - Herodotus

~~~

nemo
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by nemo » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:37 pm

Yea, bending a hardened steel blade will snap. I bought my mora spoon knife off eBay, I think bigC can order them. I want to buy another one from a custom knife worker but its $60 more than the mora.

ps: I can't carry a tune even in a bucket.

-Life

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:49 pm

I'm a big fan of "The Woodwights Shop"--I've watched the show for 25 years or so.

A few weeks ago they re-ran an episode from a couple years back about making Swedish spoons. Bet you'll like it:

http://www.pbs.org/woodwrightsshop/video/3100/3108.html
Last edited by Frailer on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

nemo
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by nemo » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:14 pm

Damn it, guess what this thread started???
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371438863.640714.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371438863.640714.jpg (109.71 KiB) Viewed 1648 times
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371438872.739505.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371438872.739505.jpg (98.06 KiB) Viewed 1648 times
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371438884.806845.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371438884.806845.jpg (104.43 KiB) Viewed 1648 times

-Life

Kadnine
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Kadnine » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:17 pm

Frailer! Watched that episode twice this week. I have it saved on the DVR! Looooooooove me some Roy Underhill. How he does that show in one take with no editing is amaze-balls! I'm a 25+ years fan, myself. :)

You see the splined edge I'm shooting for at the shoulder of the bowl? Narrow on top, thick and stable underneath? Straight from that very episode. I just need practice, practice, practice.

- K
~~~

~~~

nemo
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by nemo » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:17 pm

As for the water/alcohol mix, try carving almost two year seasoned burl. Trust me it works.

-Life

Kadnine
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Kadnine » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:20 pm

nemo - I'm guessing a new bowl project? :)

- K
~~~

~~~

Kadnine
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Kadnine » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:25 pm

nemo wrote:As for the water/alcohol mix, try carving almost two year seasoned burl. Trust me it works.
Hmmm. Think I'll try both green wood and seasoned plus nemo's spritzer recipe. See which one work out for me. Carving with as a kid with my Grandpa meant green wood, but then drying it out was an S.O.B. It would check and crack and all yer hard work would be lost, so I can see carving aged wood, tho it's rougher to work with, at least you know it's solid.

- K
~~~

~~~

nemo
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by nemo » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:42 pm

Ok found the inner edges. Time for bed, 5:00 am is on its way.

-Life

nemo
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by nemo » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:43 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371440578.341882.jpg

-Life

nemo
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by nemo » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:53 pm

Here's another tip, at first signs of crack/check/void use GOOD CA glue to stop or fill. Thin for hairline cracks and thick plus sawdust for fill.
CAUTION: $10+ per bottle.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371441087.573118.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371441087.573118.jpg (95.06 KiB) Viewed 1632 times

-Life

Kadnine
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Kadnine » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:21 am

^^^ :)

I actually save my sawdust as glue/filler! Mostly for filling the voids in open grain woods like fast growth white oak and such. I stain it purple, mix it up into a paste, and putty knife it into place. Let dry, then cross sand it smooth. before laying down the final finish.

Dang it! Wish I'd thought to take a picture of the last coffee table I sold. It's floating around somewhere in California, a KY blonde oak top, with deep purple veins epoxied into place under a glass smooth poly finish. Sold it to a bar owner friend out there...

- K
~~~

~~~

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:37 am

Again, I have several large chunks of freshly cut green maple wood, perfect for making spoons or other utensils, and even a couple of chunks big enough to make 1 or 2 cups/bowls/kuksas, free for the asking. If anyone wants any of this wood, just hit me up via PM and come get it.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

Kadnine
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Kadnine » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:24 pm

Wyldman wrote:Again, I have several large chunks of freshly cut green maple wood, perfect for making spoons or other utensils, and even a couple of chunks big enough to make 1 or 2 cups/bowls/kuksas, free for the asking. If anyone wants any of this wood, just hit me up via PM and come get it.
PM sent.

- K
~~~

~~~

nemo
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by nemo » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:09 pm

Wyldman wrote:Again, I have several large chunks of freshly cut green maple wood, perfect for making spoons or other utensils, and even a couple of chunks big enough to make 1 or 2 cups/bowls/kuksas, free for the asking. If anyone wants any of this wood, just hit me up via PM and come get it.
Did you save any limbs? I wanna try and make one more spoon/spatulas.

-Life

86 slo-vo
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by 86 slo-vo » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:39 pm

I wonder how pecon would do, I have a bunch.
Marcus wrote:KAC, marrying above their league since 2012.

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:30 am

nemo wrote:
Did you save any limbs? I wanna try and make one more spoon/spatulas.

Yes, I did, specifically for you, since you had said earlier that you wanted some of this wood. Just tell me when you want to come get it.

Kadnine, I responded to your PM.
IN GOD WE TRUST

fromkentucky

Post by fromkentucky » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:10 am

I see you bought yourself a hatchet... ;)
"A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and substantial reason' why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right's existence is all the reason he needs."

-U.S. District Judge Benson Everett Legg

Kadnine
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Kadnine » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:33 am

Why... yes! Yes I did. Friend of mine had one that worked pretty well. Got the same one for myself! ;)

- K
~~~

~~~

Kadnine
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Kadnine » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:00 pm

Fresh green maple wood blanks are in! Thanks, Wyldman! We sawed up a bunch of blanks for you, too, nemo.

- K
~~~

~~~

nemo
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by nemo » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:36 pm

Kadnine wrote:Fresh green maple wood blanks are in! Thanks, Wyldman! We sawed up a bunch of blanks for you, too, nemo.

- K
Thanks guys, gotta see if I can swing by and pick them up.

-Life

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:40 am

Just give me a shout and let me know when you want to come by. I have 6 or 7 nice pieces cut to length and ready to start on, whenever you are ready.

K-man, thanks for coming by and giving me a hand, it was a real pleasure to meet you.
IN GOD WE TRUST

Kadnine
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Kadnine » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:25 am

Oh yeah! This green maple cuts like butter compared to that bone dry oak firewood. Took me two hours to rough out the last spoon. Did the same in about two MINUTES with this stuff from Wyldman's yard! Have to do some work this morning, but I'll carve this afternoon and post some pics.

- K
~~~

~~~

Return to “Survival/Bushcraft”