The Chicken Thread

Like to live in the wilds, or just camp? This is the board for you. All things survival and bushcraft related here.
ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: The Chicken Thread

Post by ChickenLady » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:20 am

All breeds can intermingle as long as they are the same age.

Good starter breeds are Dominiques, any of the Wyandotte combinations, or Barred Rocks. Good layers, docile birds, and not quite as dumb as some of the nuttier types.
Livewire wrote:CL, the most sought after chicken farming insurance agent in kentucky
Livewire wrote:You're cooking has bought you a team of body guards wiling to follow you around at school

Kimdw78

Post by Kimdw78 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:20 pm

Thx

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

etownguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 5 times

Post by etownguy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:32 am

My mom has 13 or so I think and one ahole rooster he is a little Banty rooster with a massive attitude. He's been kicked so many times it isn't funny.

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:34 am

etownguy wrote:My mom has 13 or so I think and one ahole rooster he is a little Banty rooster with a massive attitude. He's been kicked so many times it isn't funny.
My banty rooster was a sissy. He ran from everything. Worst rooster ever.
Livewire wrote:CL, the most sought after chicken farming insurance agent in kentucky
Livewire wrote:You're cooking has bought you a team of body guards wiling to follow you around at school

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:32 am

I lost all but one of my little silver lakenvelders :( They died pretty much the day after I got them. Take note if you choose this breed, they are SMALL chicks and will not tolerate the trip in cold weather. The hatchery refunded my money, but still. I was excited to add some white eggs to my mix this year. But that is now a no go.

2 of my runner ducks also died. The only thing I can think of with these guys is they got too hot. They died a week later. The other 3 are just as happy as clams. Very shy little ducks.

Other than that, everybody is happy clams in the brooder. I hope to move them to the coop this weekend after making some renovations to it.

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:25 am

Ug. Lost another duck. I'm starting to think that although it is said that they can be raised in the same brooder as chicks, they cannot quite compete with the chicks when it comes to water in the brooder.

You see.. these little jerkwads drink A LOT of water. So much so that I have to fill the waterer twice a day to keep up with demand and even then its not enough. They aren't quite ready to go outside to the coop yet so they don't have access to the 5 gallon waterer yet. But all together they drink about a gallon of water a day. And the ducks are slow, the chicks are quick little bastards and the ducks just can't really compete. I think I will have to have 2 5 gallon waterers to keep up with demand.

So. I am going to start over with the ducks. I think I will keep on keeping on with what I have now and then order a second order of ducks once this batch all goes out. And in the future keep both groups separate in the brooders.

Live and learn.

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:27 pm

The two ducks I have...... along with the chicks.. just a duck with an afro here...

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:30 pm

Heres a little better look of their coop set up. This is a two week temp thing.
Attachments
Picture 043.jpg

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:42 pm

I'll be putting another chicken order in for May. If anyone needs anything let me know.

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:33 am

I've got a line on some leghorns if anyone was interested in them or wanted to add a few to their order that they have placed with me now. :)

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:09 am

Chickens have been moved outside since the temps have gotten so warm!

I have 10 white Leghorns available. St Run 2.50 a piece if anyone is interested. They are about 4 weeks old.

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:39 pm

Growing like weeds. I officially have way too many. Sigh. Stupid ccl self ..
Attachments
20130409_195957.jpg

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:36 pm

Nothing to see here.

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:19 am

9 leghorns are sold. Excellent. Leaving me with 6. 1 I think is going to die......the other chicks won't quit pecking it. Stupid chickens. She is separated from everyone now and has received a shot of penicillin and getting her wound cleaned twice a day, but she is the poster child for chickens pecking another to death.

I currently am out of chickens for sale. This is weird. Really weird.

MAYBE I SHOULD BUY MORE CHICKENS!

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:27 pm

13 pullets gone. I've tagged the remaining for my last two remaining pickups. I might sell off more depending on how much I like my ducks . I've got another 5 ducks coming....

here you can really make out my afro duck
Attachments
20130412_200417.jpg

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:09 pm

Limed the run today. before and after photos.
Attachments
20130414_123559.jpg
20130414_121840.jpg

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:38 am

http://www.kencove.com/fence/electric+n ... 4AodV20AFg

This is currently what I'm looking at. Not necc from this seller but in a nutshell what I want.

I will be purchasing in May since by then the pullets I have are going to be too big to be in that small run. I'll have ducks to transition out too. I'm not losing birds to predators this year.

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:36 am

Phew. 20 roosters sold. Dropping them off in Btown tomm morning.

Just turned in the paperwork to the state fair to enter Montel the afro duck. Started up a FB page (which you should like to get all the latest poultry updates) and submitting an order today to order metal leg bands since that will be required to show.

I'm going nuts.

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:21 pm

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:12 am

Montel got her leg band today!

She also got a bath as she was filthy and well.. she is going to have to learn how to enjoy it. Runner ducks are UNGODLY timid ducks

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:06 pm

. Anywho, here is new pictures.
Attachments
20130425_194610.jpg
20130425_194605.jpg

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:03 am

Electric fencing has been ordered. I came home yesterday and the run was wet and gross. It is too small of a space for the chickens and so its not exactly working atm. I was going to order the fencing mid May but I don't really have a choice.

Lets hope this works

Joe
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Joe » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:24 am

Damn I am getting hungry
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM CHICKEN SAMMICH

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:26 am

And duck confit!
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

ChickenLady
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChickenLady » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:00 am

hehehehehehehe Brian already wants some of my duck culls teehehehe

Return to “Survival/Bushcraft”