I'm thinking of taking the plunge...

NFA suppressor discussion goes on here. Silencers, cans, the wonderful things that make it our firearms quiet.
1fastmach1
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by 1fastmach1 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:12 pm

So, I've been mulling over the idea of a suppressor. I've looked at several manufacture websites over the last couple weeks and quite frankly, I'm overwhelmed.

First of all, I def want it to host a variety of calibers. I'm thinking of .45 at the most. I'll be using my mark23, p30 in 9mm, hk45t and my mp5 in 9mm.

Second: I want it to be a cleanable unit. Therefore I want something I can pull apart and do it myself.

So... If you had to direct me towards a certain unit, which one would you suggest would work best for me? Hit me with some options and ideas.

Also, who would you recommend I dealt with for the purchase and get me together on the proper paperwork to ensure everything goes smoothly?

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Re: I'm thinking of taking the plunge...

Post by Wyldman » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:25 pm

Talk to RexT and look at the SWR Octane .45. Meets all of your criteria and backed by the best suppressor company in the business: SWR/SilencerCo.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

1fastmach1

Post by 1fastmach1 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:50 pm

Wyldman wrote:Talk to RexT and look at the SWR Octane .45. Meets all of your criteria and backed by the best suppressor company in the business: SWR/SilencerCo.

I messaged Rext. I'm interested to see what he thinks.

As far as the unit you suggested, I like it so far. As you said, it fits all my criteria right out of the gate. The price point (MSRP) is on the high end of my budget minus the stamp. It seems like a great options though. I didn't know it was .22 friendly as well. I like the thought of that too.

Would this work on a .22 rifle as well as a pistol? Good looking can as well.

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:52 pm

It'll thread up on anything with standard thread sizes if you have the correct piston or fixed barrel adapter.

From the Wyldphone
IN GOD WE TRUST

1fastmach1

Post by 1fastmach1 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:04 pm

Good deal. I'll keep doing research. Hopefully some others chime in.

Vividia
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Vividia » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:30 pm

I picked up my Sparrow from RexT last week, and left the payment for the Octane and got the F4 paperwork done on the spot LOL.

I did the research too and came to the same conclusion. I am glad to hear Wyldman bless the choice!
Mexican Kerry wrote:Except for Viv. I predict she will be the leader of a group that roams the countryside pillaging for survival.
It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. - Daniel Webster

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:13 pm

It's the choice I made myself, along with a SWR Spectre II (my 4th .22 can). I do practice what I preach!

From the Wyldphone
IN GOD WE TRUST

Rext
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Rext » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:48 pm

I agree with Wyldman about silencerco being the leading manufacturer right now. There are many other companies out there that make excellent stuff so don't get me wrong. I sell lots of the other manufacturers too. I just think the SWR /silencerco stuff is the more innovative at this time and the easiest to deal with. And just like I tell everyone,it's not about the money you pay for a can that should matter. This is a lifetime purchase. If you are worried about the cost,think of it like this,you will lose your ass to sell a suppressor so plan on keeping it. Buy according to what you need and the features you want and the materials you want and do it once. Unless you want another one of course!
I like the Ospreys but have been more impressed with the Octane since it came out. Nobody makes the "quietest" can so don't worry about that. If you have the worst can on the market you won't know it unless you have others to compare it to side by side at the same time. Most suppressors have different adapters for different uses and have gotten very versatile. It is easily adapted to sub calibers and even 300 blackout. And full auto if you so desire. The octane comes apart easily and is easily cleaned. It's light and will not make the gun point much differently than without it. Most other 45 cans aren't as versatile. Don't get caught up in the Hollywood quiet you see on tv. Even the videos you watch don't relay the whole story. The only true quiet calibers are 22 and 9mm and 300. The others can be quiet but not as easy. The 45 is pretty good but you will get some noise. I love to shoot it and hear the bullet impact whatever. There is something about shooting without hearing protection that is exhilarating. You can swim but it's more fun to skinny dip,Almost the same thing!
Kentucky Firearms
Kentucky's class three dealer
..When you just want to shhhoot!

Jff24Gordn
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Jff24Gordn » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:23 pm

Putting it on a MK23, huh? Are you sure that you don't want an Osprey? Its just so sexy.

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:02 pm

I own a .45 Osprey. It is a great can, & I really enjoy shooting with it, especially on my HK pistols, but it is not user serviceable. The Octane is, so is the Ti-rant. When I bought my Octane, they had just been released. I was about to buy a Ti-rant, but found out that the Octane used all the same pistons & adapters that my Osprey does (which I already had for the Osprey). It seemed pretty much a no-brainer for me to buy the Octane, especially since it was almost $100 cheaper than the Ti-rant, at the time. I also feel much better knowing that SWR/SilencerCo has the best customer service and warranty in the business, bar none.

From the Wyldphone
IN GOD WE TRUST

Return to “Suppressors”