need feedback on your experience

NFA suppressor discussion goes on here. Silencers, cans, the wonderful things that make it our firearms quiet.
Vividia
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

need feedback on your experience

Post by Vividia » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:52 pm

Hi gang -

I have been looking at dipping my toe into NFA world, so I came to my favorite source of info on new toys - my friends at KAC!

Decisions made:

One that can be cleaned
I am going the trust route
Will be working with an attorney to get it done

Decisions being researched:

Selecting said attorney
Source (RexT or Mike Boone?)

Looking at Sparrow 22 and Kestral 22, but open to other suggestions if you have them

Here are my host candidates off the top of my head:
P22
M&P22
Mk II (will have to get barrel threaded)
22/45 Lite
FN Five-Seven (have to get barrel threaded)
15-22

For those of you who have 22 suppressors, what has been your experience with them? Love, hate, etc? Pitfalls to look out for?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Vivi
Mexican Kerry wrote:Except for Viv. I predict she will be the leader of a group that roams the countryside pillaging for survival.
It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. - Daniel Webster

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 0

Re: need feedback on your experience

Post by Wyldman » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:15 pm

I have done all of my NF a purchases through RexT because I can trust him, absolutely, and he has been a huge resource for information and help.

As to the cans you listed, either would be quite suitable. I own both, and of the two, the Sparrow has a lower, quieter tone, but is a bit more expensive. If forced to choose, I have to stick with the Sparrow. It's easier to clean, has a softer tone, and has been absolutely reliable for me.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

JustShootIt
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 3 times

Post by JustShootIt » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:31 pm

I have Outbackk llD and its great....comes apart for cleaning and awesome sound reduction.

BUT....the sparrow will work with a wider range of caliber....

If you want 22 only, the Outback is tough to beat....if you want variety, Sparrow would get my vote.

Sparrow is slightly more $ IIRC
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."(Edmund Burke)

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:39 pm

Mike Boone has had issues before with people.
I think it has mostly been overblown BS
He'll even love able me,has had issues.:-)
RexT GTG even if he is a plumber. :llama:

Of the cans all good to me.
Last edited by guncrank1 on Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jonwoos
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Jonwoos » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:23 pm

Wyldman wrote:I have done all of my NF a purchases through RexT because I can trust him, absolutely, and he has been a huge resource for information and help.

As to the cans you listed, either would be quite suitable. I own both, and of the two, the Sparrow has a lower, quieter tone, but is a bit more expensive. If forced to choose, I have to stick with the Sparrow. It's easier to clean, has a softer tone, and has been absolutely reliable for me.

I like my sparrow

I have not used the others.

Jonwoos
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Jonwoos » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:24 pm

I have used Lincoln Arms several times with no issues, that is who I got both my cans thru

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:42 pm

If going with a trust you may want to look for someone who can do the e-file, from what I read, it comes back in 3-4 months instead of a year.

dbh
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by dbh » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:25 pm

I have the Outback IID and am happy with it. I have bought 2 suppressors from Mike and have one pending from Rex. Both are GTG and very helpful.

jmeister
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 3 times

Post by jmeister » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:31 pm

Got my SWR Spectre II through RexT. The can is great; no 1st round pop, all stainless, stacked baffles, easy to disassemble & clean. Buying from Rex was very smooth, did everything from my couch except mail out the payments & paperwork then pick up the can when it finally came in. Then he even let me pick it up on a Sunday at his place. Been hearing of problems with the eform system lately so hard to say how well/fast that will work with the large influx of forms hitting the system now. Regardless I wouldn't wait too long since the trust requirements are undergoing a rule change this year.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 334 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Niceguy » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:59 pm

Isn't the Sparrow the only one that's rated for the 5.7? Have a Gemtek Alpine through Mike for the last 11+ months and he has been great to deal with so far. STILL waiting on my stamp. Damn ATF! I think if I had it to do over I would go with a .45 can as my first one. Sooooo many caliber options can be used with it. And suppressed .45acp is just badass! haha

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Niceguy » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:59 pm

Isn't the Sparrow the only one that's rated for the 5.7? Have a Gemtek Alpine through Mike for the last 11+ months and he has been great to deal with so far. STILL waiting on my stamp. Damn ATF! I think if I had it to do over I would go with a .45 can as my first one. Sooooo many caliber options can be used with it. And suppressed .45acp is just badass! haha

jmeister
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 3 times

Post by jmeister » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:01 pm

The Spectre II is rated 5.7 also, and 22mag & 17hmr

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:12 pm

The Spectre II is also a great can. I bought one, but have yet to get it out of ATF bondage. This is the only reason I didn't mention it before. Anything from SWR or SilencerCo (now one in the same since they merged early last year) is gtg as far as I'm concerned. Their customer service is absolutely second to none.

The HTA products are also gtg, and less money. For the price point, they perform beautifully! For the difference in cost, though, the SilencerCo products, their .22 cans especially, are extremely hard to beat. Of all the .22 cans I have tried, the Sparrow has been consistantly the best.

If you have any questions you'd like to discuss personally, Viv, please feel free to call me, you have my number. I'll be happy to share all I know, freely.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

Rext
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Rext » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:28 pm

Hey Viv
Thanks for giving me a chance on your can. I am sitting at a gymnastics meet so this worked great for both of us!
First don't let cost be a deterrent. This is a lifetime purchase. There is no used silencer market. When you automatically lose $200 on a 3-4-500$ item, it makes no sense to get rid of it. Just keep it.
They are all so close in reduction you can't go by that. Unless you are shooting side by side you won't know if yours is the quietest or the loudest.
The AAC pilot and gemtech outback are both good cans and about identical. Some people I have sold to claim it is as quiet as any others they have. If you are a stickler for cleaning these are good choices. If you don't clean them they can be tough to get apart. The others are more forgiving by virtue of how they come apart. These include the kestrel,sparrow,spectre,alpine of the ones mentioned. I like a stainless can so you can scrub it. But I don't clean often is why.
Most people don't shoot more than 22 even though a can is rated for other calibers or full auto. It really comes down to all the criteria of value, materials,disassembly,availability,weight,etc.
I am set up to do efile as well. I think I have all the cans mentioned except the kestrel.
I hope this piece of advice helps a little.
BTW- the first can I bought is a AAC pilot. It does not come apart. It has a few thousand rounds through it now. It is usually found on my daughters 10/22.
Kentucky Firearms
Kentucky's class three dealer
..When you just want to shhhoot!

Mike
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Mike » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:58 am

I bought my Tactical Solutions cascade from Shooters supply on sale for $129 before stamp. Couldn't pass it up for the price. It's not able to be taken apart but I am fine with that for now. Great can for the price, but it was on sale.

FWIW, if I was going to go with one of the dealers mentioned, I would give Rex my business and not think twice about it.
:llama:

kokopelli
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 17 times

Post by kokopelli » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:00 pm

whatever you do just stay away from Thompson Machine.

Vividia
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Vividia » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:43 pm

I have started the process for setting up the trust. As soon as I have that I hope to have my selection made, and get started on the purchase. Decisions, decisions.....
Mexican Kerry wrote:Except for Viv. I predict she will be the leader of a group that roams the countryside pillaging for survival.
It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. - Daniel Webster

Vividia
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Vividia » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:40 pm

Sparrow in the works....let the waiting begin....

Dustin
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 40 times

Post by Dustin » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:51 pm

Who set up your trust ?
"What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." Thomas Jefferson

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Niceguy » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:14 pm

Sweet!

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Niceguy » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:17 pm

Sweet!

SSGBPowell

Post by SSGBPowell » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:05 pm

I mailed my form one off on the 1st of March. I wonder who will get out of ATF jail first. Did yours get E-filed?
I think a suppressor for my next NFA toy.
I was only going to build one...

Vividia
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Vividia » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:06 pm

Dustin wrote:Who set up your trust ?
Kentuckyguntrustlawyer.com Guy named Aaron Baker. Did a nice job and even included a booklet on the whole NFA buying process.

RexT is who I bought from, he is efiling

86 slo-vo
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by 86 slo-vo » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:15 pm

I used Aaron also. I'd recommend him to anyone.
Marcus wrote:KAC, marrying above their league since 2012.

86 slo-vo
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by 86 slo-vo » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:15 pm

I used Aaron also. I'd recommend him to anyone.
Marcus wrote:KAC, marrying above their league since 2012.

Return to “Suppressors”