Selecting a can for my .40

NFA suppressor discussion goes on here. Silencers, cans, the wonderful things that make it our firearms quiet.
ProCroation
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 3 times

Selecting a can for my .40

Post by ProCroation » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:16 am

Okay so the wife and I have budgeted for more toys. No, not sex toys.

Among the items I'm interested in, a can is one. I've done some searching but admittedly not all that is needed. The forms and tax stamp, I will deal with at that time. Right now it's about selection.

The host: Springfield XD40 4" service
The barrel: EFK Fire Dragon (unless recommended otherwise)
The can: I'm interested in and debating between SilencerCo Osprey or the AAC Tirant.

Assuming I could get either can for the same price...Which would be best? I've listened to both and would be satisfied with their reduction in sound no matter which.

I want quality. I'd like a serviceable piece I think.

Hoping someone will chime in and swing me one way or the other. Looking at you Wyldman or anyone with some good can knowledge.
A cop stopped me on the street and said "we're looking for a mugger who fits your description" , so I said "okay I'll do it".

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 0

Re: Selecting a can for my .40

Post by Wyldman » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:56 am

SilencerCo/SWR Octane .45 HD would be one to look at long and hard. .45 caliber means you can use it on subsonic rifles and any smaller caliber handgun, and they are user serviceable (as is the Ti-rant), and generally cheaper than the Ti-rant. When I bought my last .45 can, that was why I got the Octane.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:26 am

Remington has just shit out AAC and moved all production to The South.
So just for that I would stay away from AAC

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 336 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Niceguy » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:09 am

The Octane .45 will definitely be my next suppressor. Unless some other crazy cheap deal like the most resent group buy pops up again...haha

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:24 am

guncrank1 wrote:Remington has just shit out AAC and moved all production to The South.
last I heard was AAC founder sued them and won. Ps the Internet will tell you that if you are looking for a can on a .40 then the garbage can is the answer JK.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by guncrank1 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:33 am

jackalo626 wrote:
guncrank1 wrote:Remington has just shit out AAC and moved all production to The South.
last I heard was AAC founder sued them and won. Ps the Internet will tell you that if you are looking for a can on a .40 then the garbage can is the answer JK.

My source is a industry insider not Truthaboutguns.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:10 pm

guncrank1 wrote:
jackalo626 wrote:

I forgot you was buddies with Bill Ruger :llama:

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by guncrank1 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:18 pm

:twisted:
jackalo626 wrote:
guncrank1 wrote:
jackalo626 wrote:

I forgot you was buddies with Bill Ruger :llama:
Don't forget appenternceship to JMB :llama: :llama:

ProCroation
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ProCroation » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:08 pm

Wyldman wrote:SilencerCo/SWR Octane .45 HD would be one to look at long and hard. .45 caliber means you can use it on subsonic rifles and any smaller caliber handgun, and they are user serviceable (as is the Ti-rant), and generally cheaper than the Ti-rant. When I bought my last .45 can, that was why I got the Octane.
I had not even run across the Octane 45 in my brief reviews of suppressors. Thanks for pointing this one out. The price point is well within my range. More so than the other two I mentioned. I started doing some reading and you're right...that's a nice bonus of being able to use it with multiple hosts. The fact that it's serviceable is a big plus to me. I wasn't able to locate any video/sound tests with a .40 cal host yet. However, they seem to function well across other calibers even down to .22 from what I could find so far. Thanks for that info. I knew you would come through with some wisdom.

Here's my next question, I feel I should try to buy this locally but several places online have them as well. Is there any benefit to be gained from purchasing online? I know it will eventually HAVE to be shipped to a local FFL. So are there any advantages/disadvantages to an online purchase as opposed to local only? That is, of course assuming anyone even locally sells the Octane 45.
A cop stopped me on the street and said "we're looking for a mugger who fits your description" , so I said "okay I'll do it".

ProCroation
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ProCroation » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:12 pm

I did notice that in my reading, there was a lot of chatter in the comment sections of several sites about AAC doing someone wrong or screwing someone over majorly. It was a pretty well agreed fact across different sites I came across. Perhaps this is what they were speaking of.

1fastmach1

Post by 1fastmach1 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:17 pm

ProCroation wrote:
Wyldman wrote:SilencerCo/SWR Octane .45 HD would be one to look at long and hard. .45 caliber means you can use it on subsonic rifles and any smaller caliber handgun, and they are user serviceable (as is the Ti-rant), and generally cheaper than the Ti-rant. When I bought my last .45 can, that was why I got the Octane.
I had not even run across the Octane 45 in my brief reviews of suppressors. Thanks for pointing this one out. The price point is well within my range. More so than the other two I mentioned. I started doing some reading and you're right...that's a nice bonus of being able to use it with multiple hosts. The fact that it's serviceable is a big plus to me. I wasn't able to locate any video/sound tests with a .40 cal host yet. However, they seem to function well across other calibers even down to .22 from what I could find so far. Thanks for that info. I knew you would come through with some wisdom.

Here's my next question, I feel I should try to buy this locally but several places online have them as well. Is there any benefit to be gained from purchasing online? I know it will eventually HAVE to be shipped to a local FFL. So are there any advantages/disadvantages to an online purchase as opposed to local only? That is, of course assuming anyone even locally sells the Octane 45.
I'm fairly good friends with my local FFL I use. That being said, I'm able to take cans out and use them with him after I buy them before getting the stamp approved. Nice added bonus potentially of a local dealer. I've been shooting my mac-10 a bit and haven't received my stamp yet.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 336 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Niceguy » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:18 pm

Mike Boone at Lincoln Arms a sponsor on here is GREAT guy to deal with on NFA items. Hear a lot of good about RexT also but unfortunately haven't had a chance to deal with him. Maybe for my Octane .45...

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:21 pm

There are numerous dealers locally who should be able to get the Octane, and some, like RexT (from whom I purchase all of my cans) who are likely to have them in stock, or can easily get them. Buying on the 'net usually means additional delay as they have to be xferred via form 3 to get into the state, then going through the form 4 xfer to you, eventually.

It's much quicker and easier to find a stocking dealer in state, if at all possible. I strongly suggest you contact RexT and see if he has one in stock, or coming in soon. He might be a few dollars higher than some, but he has vast experience with NFA items and has always bent over backwards to help me with my purchases, not to mention the fact that I can trust him completely with my money & property, knowing that everything will be secure until the paperwork is approved and returned. I have completed 9 purchases from him over the years, & speak from firsthand experience. That experience makes me feel much more secure and I find that the difference in price is negligible and worth every dime in peace of mind, if nothing else.

From the Wyldphone
Last edited by Wyldman on Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
IN GOD WE TRUST

Dustin
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 40 times

Post by Dustin » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:22 pm

What about the huntertown arms 45 can? I know they just came out but I was thinking about ordering one to suppress my 45,9 and 300 BLK
"What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." Thomas Jefferson

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:28 pm

No experience with that can, & HTA has recently pissed off a lot of people with service & warranty issues. The Octane is a proven design, at a reasonable price, from a company with service and warranties second to none.

I do have a couple of HTA cans, & like them well enough, especially at their price point.

But. Buying NFA items is for life, resale is practically nil. I must suggest that you spend wisely, getting the absolute best product you can, from a company that can & does back their products to the hilt. For me, that company is SWR/SilencerCo, every time.

You can take my word for it or not, as you choose. I think my first hand, real world experiences are worth at least something.

From the Wyldphone
IN GOD WE TRUST

ProCroation
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ProCroation » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:52 pm

Pm sent to rext. Looking forward to getting this ball rolling soon. I'll budget a new gun in as well during the wait. That should keep my patience up. Haha.

Return to “Suppressors”