"Gun worshiping Marine veteran an embarrassment"

Want to discuss politics, religious affairs, legal items, this would be the place. Keep the discourse civil please.
WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by WLJ » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:06 pm

Please note I did put quotes in the title.

Anyone feel like writing comments to CNN on this? They're asking for them at the link.

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-907167?hpt=hp_t2
Gun worshiping Marine veteran an embarrassment to those who've served
By usmcdiorio | Posted January 7, 2013 | Fort Collins, Colorado

CNN PRODUCER NOTE usmcdiorio served as a combat correspondent in the U.S. Marine Corps. He felt compelled to respond after reading about former Marine Joshua Boston's open letter on CNN iReport to Sen. Dianne Feinstein saying that he would not register his weapons with the government even if a ban on assault weapons was passed in his state. Boston's letter gained mass attention online and he has made multiple appearances on CNN to explain his position. (Read more here.)

This iReporter said of Boston's letter: 'Marines or anyone who has served should always strive to uphold the law. He outright said that he would disobey the law if gun-control legislation passed. This could be misconstrued by readers to assume that many or all Marines share this kind of attitude towards the law, that we follow it only when it suits us. It's embarrassing because it makes it seem that all Marines think their service justifies special treatment of some sort.

'Second, his letter seemed to disregard or not address the real concerns of gun violence and the horrible recent tragedy in Newtown. This is embarrassing because he makes Marines seem insensitive and uncaring. I was devastated when I heard about Newtown and devastated when I heard of Aurora, and all he could talk about was his right to own a semi-automatic weapon.'

This iReporter believes that the semi-automatic, assault style rifles used in the Newtown, Connecticut, and Aurora, Colorado, massacres should be banned, as should high-capacity magazines. That said, he is pessimistic that 'meaningful' gun legislation will actually get passed. 'There are so many guns that banning new sales may not make much of an impact. We would have to follow Australia's lead and enact a retroactive ban, but I don't see that happening in today's political climate.'

What's your take? Should any weapon sales be banned? What about a retroactive ban? Join the debate on iReport.
- dsashin, CNN iReport producer
When I read about the open letter that former Marine Joshua Boston sent to Sen. Dianne Feinstein regarding his gun rights, I couldn't help but feel temporarily ashamed of also sharing the title of former Marine. Boston defiantly refuses to register his guns even if laws are passed requiring him to do so. In this refusal, he comes off as tone-deaf and unsympathetic to the victims of mass shootings in Newtown, Aurora, and so many other places. His ranting letter is paranoid exhibition of one concerned not with preventing the deaths of more innocents, but of maintaining his rights to own devices of war. I want to set the record straight, not all Marines are so insensitive to the recent tragedies, or ignorant about the need for arms restrictions.

While I did not experience combat, I served in Afghanistan as a Marine, exiting the service as a Sergeant in 2008 to enter college. My experiences in the Marine Corps of course led me to train with semi and fully automatic weapons, and yet, I have no desire to own these weapons now that I am out of the service. I can't see why any civilian needs semi-automatic, high-capacity weapons designed to kill as many people as quickly as possible, and I support a ban of future sales in addition to a retroactive ban that would force Joshua Boston to relinquish his weapons.

Boston's attitude towards authority is frankly disgusting and his open letter is wrong in both its assumptions about why the gun-control debate has become heated, and the reasons why we should care about his opinions at all. It implies that because he served in Iraq and Afghanistan as a Marine, that he can choose which laws to obey while at home. This is of course, incorrect, and gives other veterans a bad name. Regardless of his personal beliefs about gun-control, Boston should obey the law, or stop using the title of Marine veteran so proudly.

Perhaps my criticism of Boston seems harsh. This is as intended, for in speaking out as he did, Boston revealed a profound ignorance to the pain suffered in Newtown. The survivors lives will never be the same, and the reason for that is because a deranged individual had access to a weapon that shouldn't be accessible by the general populace. I speak out also because, as a former Marine Sergeant, I abhor any action that tarnishes the name of the Marine Corps. Boston has done that with his letter, and he should apologize to every veteran who obeys the law in good faith and intends to do so in the future.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: "Gun worshiping Marine veteran an embarrassment"

Post by son of liberty » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:12 pm

tory

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 61 times

Post by ssracer » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:29 pm

FUCK CNN

GunningBadger
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by GunningBadger » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:37 pm

It's a slippery slope calling patriots embarrassing. I don't have any disappointment left to feel for my country. Now it's just bitterness.

CatMostFeared
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by CatMostFeared » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:48 pm

Fuck the Red Coats

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:55 pm

You can't disobey a law that is unconstitutional since it really isn't a law.

Tyler
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Tyler » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:03 pm

As a Marine veteran myself, anyone who doesn't believe in and vehemently support the Constitution is formally invited to go fuck themselves. This guy is worried about the Marine Corps' reputation? How about keeping to that oath you took? Douche Canoe of the Week.

Combat Reporter aka POG aka Fobbit aka training really means shooting once a year

Suck a dick
Height Supremacist

LCPL_NBREW

Post by LCPL_NBREW » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:43 pm

Tyler wrote:

Combat Reporter aka POG aka Fobbit aka training really means shooting once a year

+100000000000
FOR OUR SINS

Kadnine
KAC Member
KAC Member

Re:

Post by Kadnine » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:56 am

jackalo626 wrote:You can't disobey a law that is unconstitutional since it really isn't a law.

Beat me to it.

We Marines are duty-bound to ignore extra-constitutional laws. Just as we're obligated to refuse illegal orders. Pity this clown wasn't taught that in a manner that took root in the shallow soil of his obviously limited intellect.

- Keith (CPL, USMC)
~~~

"'...what it is to be a bondservant thou knowest full well, but of freedom thou hast never yet made trial, to know whether it be a sweet thing or not. For if ever thou hadst experience thereof, thou wouldest counsel us to fight for it not with spears only but with axes.' Thus the Spartans answered Hydarnes." - Herodotus

~~~

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:42 am

He said he was embarrassed because the letter made Marines seem insensitive and uncaring.

Bah hahahahhahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahahhhahahaaha
Rofl

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:25 pm

He's only an embarrassment to those who would wish him dead, along with the rest of us who hold the Constitution to be the law of the land.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

CESTILL345
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by CESTILL345 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:46 pm

AMEN

Return to “Legal/Politics/Religious”