Firearm Microstamping

Want to discuss politics, religious affairs, legal items, this would be the place. Keep the discourse civil please.
Lio
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Firearm Microstamping

Post by Lio » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:56 pm

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearm_ ... #section_1

I dont see this topic mentioned much in firearm legal discussions. Honestly, I didn't even know much about it until I saw it in an article on that "chicago is killin it" thread. I see the value in microstamping helping with forensic investigations but overall, I stand against this practice. I'm Especially against any govmt mandated firearm microstamping (ie. California passed a microstamping law that required microstamping for all firearms except for those used by law enforcement, but it is supposedly on hold currently). Check out the link above. I'm
Curious what others think about it.

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Firearm Microstamping

Post by justang1997 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:21 pm

I'm against it for the following reasons which I've numbered to allow for easy response::

1. The cost of new firearms would go up, and potentially the ammo as well if case alterations are needed to ensure the case is reliably stamped.

2. If all firearms prior to microstamping are grandfathered in, then it will be decades before a criminal would use a gun that would microstamp the spent cases.

3. Revolvers.

4. People could sweep up my spent ammo at a range to deposit on their crime scene.

5. Most criminals don't load guns with gloves on and finger prints can be found on cases. Cases are already stamped with finger prints for free.

Dustin
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 40 times

Firearm Microstamping

Post by Dustin » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:28 pm

Don't forget a hand file. Can fix the stamp too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." Thomas Jefferson

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Re: Firearm Microstamping

Post by Wyldman » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:48 pm

Just another stupidly ignorant attempt on grabbing the 2nd amendment away from us lil' people. We aren't smart enough to have guns, but it's OK for Pelosi & her armed thugs to have them.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Post by ChopperDoc » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:22 pm

justang1997 wrote:I'm against it for the following reasons which I've numbered to allow for easy response::

1. The cost of new firearms would go up, and potentially the ammo as well if case alterations are needed to ensure the case is reliably stamped.

2. If all firearms prior to microstamping are grandfathered in, then it will be decades before a criminal would use a gun that would microstamp the spent cases.

3. Revolvers.

4. People could sweep up my spent ammo at a range to deposit on their crime scene.

5. Most criminals don't load guns with gloves on and finger prints can be found on cases. Cases are already stamped with finger prints for free.
I approve this message
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:45 pm

justang1997 wrote:I'm against it for the following reasons which I've numbered to allow for easy response::

3. Revolvers.

6. Nobody has figured out how to make this work...yet.

7. (And this is big one) It's all but useless unless we also enact firearms registration, making this the logical next step.

I'm sure there are more reasons why this is a very bad idea.

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:05 pm

It will cost a bunch of money and accomplish nothing, strange......that statement holds true for government as well.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:51 pm

Never work
The stamped metal is ductile and moves at least three degrees on which would smear the stampings

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:07 pm

son of liberty wrote:It will cost a bunch of money and accomplish nothing, strange......that statement holds true for government as well.
Truth!

etownguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 5 times

Post by etownguy » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:49 am

the only way I could see this workingis if the shell casings had a serial number on them.. maybe on the inside and that batch of s/n's is linked to the box they are sold in. when you purchase a box of ammo you have to give a drivers license to link you to that s/n.

very downside this would kill all online purchases, and give the mad-hatters access to see how much ammo you have and possibly even control the amount that you buy (i.e. sudafed).

but all this goes to shit on the billions and billions of rounds already in circulation and reloads.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:57 am

Like WM said a way to control
That is all
No use to control any crime

You could make all crime immediate capital punshement and crime would still accrue.

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:00 pm

Im sure if they really wanted to they could find a way to make this work. probably in a scenario like etownguy suggested. I mean they even put tracking tags in explosives.

scorpionmain
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by scorpionmain » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:07 pm

Microstamping Dies in New York, Again
June 22, 2012 By Larry Keane

Despite being backed by New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg and gun-control groups like the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence and the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence, New York state’s microstamping bill failed to pass the full legislature for the fifth consecutive year. The state’s general assembly, which is dominated by downstate, anti-gun urban legislators, did approve the bill on Tuesday by an 85-60 vote. While passage very late in the general assembly legislative session is not surprising, what is noteworthy is the fact that support in the chamber for the bill continues to erode, as there were five more votes against the bill than last year.

Read more at:
http://www.nssfblog.com/microstamping-d ... ork-again/
"Among the natural rights of the colonists are these: First a right to life, secondly to liberty, and thirdly to property; together with the right to defend them in the best manner they can."
–Samuel Adams

Return to “Legal/Politics/Religious”