Right to Work

Want to discuss politics, religious affairs, legal items, this would be the place. Keep the discourse civil please.
guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Re: Right to Work

Post by guncrank1 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:40 pm

Union busting bull shit

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:37 pm

read a little about all the bills. Saw some complaining about the one that does away with the prevailing wages on construction projects and people complaining they won't make decent money. What the uneducated don't know about at least highway contracts (and there are a lot of them out there and a lot of work) is that if they are state funded only then they depend on the state prevailing wage rates (ones that are looking to be done away with). If they are federally funded, then they are subject to the US DOL federal wage rates...which are higher than the state ones usually. Guys love to work on these projects as they get more money.

Now, look back 8 years and see that the revenue generation from gasoline tax has been slow coming in due to less people traveling and not having money to do things. Also, the state has been record spending in getting construction projects online. Beshear wanted billion dollar lettings every year. Pushing money out the door and into the pockets of the people. HOwever, the revenues were slow coming in to replenish those funds going out. So now there are so many projects out there getting contractors and consultants pockets very heavy with money. Bevin had to do something to stem overspending. So they came up with Pause 50 (which is read about here):
http://transportation.ky.gov/Pages/Pres ... Value1=187

Anyway, they are pausing the start of any new road projects and will only use 50 million next year. So the state has been trying to convert all its former state projects over to federal projects (and meet all the fed requirements for each one). So in essence, the more projects they federalize, then the more projects have to pay the Fed mandated wages, which means in turn it is better for the workers because a contractor not paying those wages would get more than slap on the wrist from DOL.

Can't speak to the union busting, just to the bill that would do away with the state prevailing wage rates.

Toecutter1978
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 14 times

Post by Toecutter1978 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:46 am

My Grandfather worked for DuPont for years, eventually retiring from there. He was union. He is the only tie I have to knowing what it is. I remember him being laid off many times and working different jobs to keep the house afloat. The union supposedly kept his job or got it back. I know he went on strike a couple of times. However I was young and that was many many years ago. I don't know how I feel about unions. Without them there would not be a forty hour work week or other benefits that we all utilize today. However, I also see unions supporting political agendas that go against the good of their own members. They also protect people that should not receive such a defense. It is a mixed bag.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Toecutter1978
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Toecutter1978 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:54 am

There are trades that should have unions, such as Crafts and skill labor. Possible a better way they should police themselves better, and vote in competent leaders. (that can be said for all of us). Maybe when the carpenter and banker care what the cashier at the grocery store they both shop at makes so that he/she can have a fairly decent life. Then maybe we all can step up one more rung on the ladder. Until then, we will all squabble over pennies

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Toddstang » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:58 am

My union has turned into a political shit show that forgot that people like me are paying their salary.
Health and safety is supposed to be a big part of a unions stand. After 2 spine surgeries and a shoulder surgery I can honestly say my union fucked me there too.
This is just my opinion, but it should be the workers choice.
Unions need to go back to their roots during WWII in order to survive and hang politics up. Concentrate on the worker and not itself.

iron369
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 96 times

Post by iron369 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:35 am

I work through a skilled labor union. I'm a union electrician. I've been trained to give customers a quality electrical installation while earning a livable wage to provide for my family. I've also worked for unions like the Teamsters at UPS when I was first out of high school. They are completely different animals. The Teamsters were about getting dues money and getting lazy teens their jobs back when they got fired for missing too much work. In order for my union hall to conduct business, provide training, and negotiate contracts or oversee violations of one, it takes money. That is how the right-to-work legislation is harmful to unions and all Kentuckians. It will take time (maybe even into future administrations) for the effect to be seen.
The political contributions have always been voluntary and can be opted out by any member.
The prevailing wage being taken away will hurt all skilled labor. We depend on jobs like the school work to make it through a sometimes lean winter when work isn't so plentiful in construction work. I could explain it better in a conversation better, but basically it allows the union and nonunion companies to be more competitive and sets the wage for the nonunion employees to better provide for their families. Union tradesmen make more than prevailing wage to begin with.
I know my support of a union is not seen as a popular stance on gun forums and don't want to get into some great debate over my choice to work union. I will continue to pay my dues. I will continue to stand with my brothers. I will continue to fight for the benefits I think are important to all workers.
Using Tapatalk

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Dave1965 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:15 am

iron369 wrote:I work through a skilled labor union. I'm a union electrician. I've been trained to give customers a quality electrical installation while earning a livable wage to provide for my family. I've also worked for unions like the Teamsters at UPS when I was first out of high school. They are completely different animals. The Teamsters were about getting dues money and getting lazy teens their jobs back when they got fired for missing too much work. In order for my union hall to conduct business, provide training, and negotiate contracts or oversee violations of one, it takes money. That is how the right-to-work legislation is harmful to unions and all Kentuckians. It will take time (maybe even into future administrations) for the effect to be seen.
The political contributions have always been voluntary and can be opted out by any member.
The prevailing wage being taken away will hurt all skilled labor. We depend on jobs like the school work to make it through a sometimes lean winter when work isn't so plentiful in construction work. I could explain it better in a conversation better, but basically it allows the union and nonunion companies to be more competitive and sets the wage for the nonunion employees to better provide for their families. Union tradesmen make more than prevailing wage to begin with.
I know my support of a union is not seen as a popular stance on gun forums and don't want to get into some great debate over my choice to work union. I will continue to pay my dues. I will continue to stand with my brothers. I will continue to fight for the benefits I think are important to all workers.

thats what the country is all about, individual choice. I like the opt out ability. My wife was in unions for medical workers before and had the same experience as Todd. She would have opted out if she could have. Different things for different folks. Some have forgotten why they were established and some have not. Glad it works for you though.

iron369
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 96 times

Post by iron369 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:48 am

I don't think anyone will bash me. It doesn't take long reading through threads to see that my political views differ from most people here. I'm ok with that. I've met some really good guys here and we are all entitled to vote how we see best for us.
Unions can't get out of the business of politics. Politics play an integral role in business. It takes a flow of cash to influence the people that control the governments flow of cash. That's union or nonunion.
The entire country has left unions behind. We have become a country of service and not production. Unions were strong when safety and working conditions were deplorable. As the need to stand together against these things decreased, so did the common perception that that unions were needed for the common office worker. That mindset continues. As long as people can sit in their cubicles in front of a computer and buy tons of Chinese junk off amazon, why do we need to pay dues?
Using Tapatalk

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by Toddstang » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:09 am

I think it will make unions do their jobs more effectively.

kokopelli
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 17 times

Post by kokopelli » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:59 am

My wife is a teacher- I was shocked years ago when I realized the teachers union was far-left liberal democrat. In the newsletters she gets, it is page after page of political rhetoric and advertising. Pro- Hussein, anti-conservative, pro planned parenthood, you name it. Article after article of Republican/conservative slamming.

The scariest part of this is they care more about funding the Husseins and Hitlarys than protecting teachers or fighting for their wages and benefits. They almost never, ever lift a finger for anything wage or benefit related.

So the bill not allowing dues to be given to political campaigns is a huge win.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 327 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Niceguy » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:21 am

Toddstang wrote:My union has turned into a political shit show that forgot that people like me are paying their salary.
Health and safety is supposed to be a big part of a unions stand. After 2 spine surgeries and a shoulder surgery I can honestly say my union fucked me there too.
Unions need to go back to their roots during WWII in order to survive and hang politics up. Concentrate on the worker and not itself.
Same with the railroad union...

nemo
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 161 times

Post by nemo » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:27 pm

Toddstang wrote:My union has turned into a political shit show that forgot that people like me are paying their salary.

Hey, they make sure you have water and a fan in summer. What more do you want?
Oh, how so high they fly........ only further to fall.

-Life

Jeepjockey
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Jeepjockey » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:33 pm

Couldn't agree more Todd

All I see is committeemen getting fatter. I will most likely opt out. Not 100% sure yet. Will give it 6-8 months to see if anything changes
A.K.A MMAJEEPER

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by Toddstang » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:29 pm

nemo wrote:

Hey, they make sure you have water and a fan in summer. What more do you want?
More than half of the fans are broke and water fountains have been removed. At least we're not locked inside.

Ar-Rob
Founding Father
Founding Father
Been liked: 0

Post by Ar-Rob » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:26 pm

This thread makes me lol
scorpionmain wrote:I've heard "Rob is a dick"
Rem700 wrote:Rob is a dick
Marcus wrote:Rob can be such a dick

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 62 times

Post by Marcus » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:48 pm

Ar-Rob wrote:This thread makes me lol
We don't see you for months and this is where you chime in?lol
Mandy wrote:I meant Marcus post, he's like ninja slicer, he's nice he's nice he's nice, ....SWISH... he cuts your effin head off ;)

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by Toddstang » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:51 pm

Marcus wrote:
Ar-Rob wrote:This thread makes me lol
We don't see you for months and this is where you chime in?lol
He is a SCAB!

:llama:

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:30 pm

Option. Who can be mad at that?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by Toddstang » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:35 pm

jackalo626 wrote:Option. Who can be mad at that?

Union leaders.

Jeepjockey
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Jeepjockey » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:38 pm

Toddstang wrote:

Union leaders.
This
A.K.A MMAJEEPER

Toecutter1978
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Toecutter1978 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:39 pm

kokopelli wrote:My wife is a teacher- I was shocked years ago when I realized the teachers union was far-left liberal democrat. In the newsletters she gets, it is page after page of political rhetoric and advertising. Pro- Hussein, anti-conservative, pro planned parenthood, you name it. Article after article of Republican/conservative slamming.

The scariest part of this is they care more about funding the Husseins and Hitlarys than protecting teachers or fighting for their wages and benefits. They almost never, ever lift a finger for anything wage or benefit related.

So the bill not allowing dues to be given to political campaigns is a huge win.
You need to come and see what the education department is churning out to teach children. Those newsletters are nothing.

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by Toddstang » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:40 pm

Jeepjockey wrote:
Couldn't agree more Todd

All I see is committeemen getting fatter. I will most likely opt out. Not 100% sure yet. Will give it 6-8 months to see if anything changes
Wasn't like this 10 years ago.
Back then the union would of shut the line down after the 2nd or 3rd serious injury on the job that fucked me up. I was # 12.
All over a piece of steel that cost less than $2,000 to install and fix the problem.

Jeepjockey
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Jeepjockey » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:01 pm

Greg would tell me stories of when a commitmeeman would stop the line for shit that needed to be stopped. No backbone anymore.
A.K.A MMAJEEPER

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 0

Post by Wyldman » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:37 am

Toddstang wrote:

Union leaders.
That option almost got my father killed. He opted out for a long time, working for telephone co. Bad "accidents" kept happening around him, until he found out my Mom was pregnant. That's when he broke down and opted in. Lo and behold! The "accidents" stopped happening.

Crush, kill, mangle, maim, destroy.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Dave1965 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:27 am

Wyldman wrote:
Toddstang wrote:

Union leaders.
That option almost got my father killed. He opted out for a long time, working for telephone co. Bad "accidents" kept happening around him, until he found out my Mom was pregnant. That's when he broke down and opted in. Lo and behold! The "accidents" stopped happening.

Crush, kill, mangle, maim, destroy.

maybe he should have "accidented" back to the buddies who were helping cause them

Return to “Legal/Politics/Religious”