Obama signs defense bill

Want to discuss politics, religious affairs, legal items, this would be the place. Keep the discourse civil please.
Tomahawk
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Obama signs defense bill

Post by Tomahawk » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:59 am

http://www.militarytimes.com/story/mili ... /76302160/
Starting in 2018, newly enlisted troops will no longer have the traditional 20-year, all-or-nothing retirement plan. Under the changes, it will be replaced with a blended pension and investment system, featuring automatic contributions to troops' Thrift Savings Plans and an opportunity for government matches to personal contributions.

Allowing personal firearms on stateside bases — Lawmakers are requiring Defense Secretary Ash Carter to develop a plan by the end of this year that would allow stateside base commanders to decide whether to allow their service members to carry personal firearms on duty, or in areas where that is currently restricted by the military. Any such plan would not supercede local laws.

A pay freeze for general and flag officers — Troops will see a 1.3 percent pay increase in January, lower than the rate of expected private-sector wage growth but more than their senior officers will get. General and flag officer pay will stay at fiscal 2015 levels.

Another ban on a new BRAC round — Like in past years, the measure includes a prohibition on defense officials starting another base closing round. But lawmakers did include language allowing military officials to conduct studies on how much excess capacity exists in their stateside footprint, which could ease the path to such a move in the future.

A ban on "paid patriotism" with sports leagues — The bill includes language that would prohibit the department from entering into contracts "making payments for honoring members of the Armed Forces at sporting events," in response to congressional reports that several professional sports teams were given tens of thousands of dollars to conduct on-field military appreciation events.

Easier rules for military animal adoption — The measure changes the rules on adopting military dogs and other animals to make it easier for former handlers and families of injured handlers to adopt them following their military service.

Developing "gender-neutral" standards for military jobs — In response to a push to open more military specialties to female troops, lawmakers want Pentagon leaders to craft "gender-neutral occupational standards" that would allow "decisions on assignments (to) be based on objective analysis."
#1 I think overhauling retirement is stupid. I'm not staying in 20 years but those who do put up with the military for 20 years deserve the current pension. Not to mention the savings from this overhaul is extremely minute compared to other programs we could cut or halt in the Government. I say this even though this new retirement system would help people like me out with matching contributions, but man alot of people stay in until 20 to hit that retirement. I'm guessing alot more disgruntled people will be exiting earlier now.

#2 allowing CCW on bases, I want to see the plan Defense Secretary rolls out with. I'm not sure how much planning is needed, just allow CCW on base.

#3 Gender neutral standards. I'd agree if females were required to have same PT standards, which they don't. I'm all for equality and would trust a woman as I would a man, but you can't have true gender neutral standards when the standards for admission aren't equal for men and women.

Have a great thanksgiving!

Also massammo.com is having free shipping, just bought a few thousand rounds.

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Re: Obama signs defense bill

Post by Frailer » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:22 am

The new retirement plan has been in the works for years and is actually a better deal for the vast majority of service members. And the cost savings are substantial.

I'm a beneficiary of the old (current) plan, and it works for me, but I feel for the guys who did multiple deployments and got out with nothing.

Tomahawk

Post by Tomahawk » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:26 am

Frailer wrote:The new retirement plan has been in the works for years and is actually a better deal for the vast majority of service members. And the cost savings are substantial.

I'm a beneficiary of the old (current) plan, and it works for me, but I feel for the guys who did multiple deployments and got out with nothing.
Substantial yes when compared to itself, but compared to cutting other programs it's just a drop in the bucket.

The guys who did multiple deployments simply didn't get the matching 6% - the current retirement system is the only incentive I see for making it to 20. I know so many start counting down after 10 years in service : ) With that, when people get out at 20 years, most will not get out with comparable paying jobs in the civilian sector. Where most will be 40, where the civilian industry marks them as "the prime in their career" most military will be struggling to match salaries of their peers from college (talking officers). It's such a generalist (job other than the functional areas) that many, unless GS/Government Contractor, would have trouble transitioning over to learn the civilian systems.

As it stands on the Officer side, this 5-7 year mark is the best time to get out as it is when my college counterparts will start catching up to me in salary. Getting out after would put me behind the curve. Getting out at 20 where i've been removed from the civilian sector for 20 years, presumably would put me at a severe disadvantage. With that, there are many who transition out successfully, but i've seen too many get out with no plan other than to live off of their retirement for a bit.

What I want to know is how do I get on this matching 6%? Am I in purgatory where I am grandfathered under 20 but not allowed for the new "retirement" system?

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by WLJ » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:31 am

Frailer wrote:The new retirement plan has been in the works for years and is actually a better deal for the vast majority of service members. And the cost savings are substantial.
Call me cynical but I always feel there's a price, that's not always obvious, to pay with anything Obama signs not matter how good it may sound on the surface. Comes from 7 years of watching him turn everything he touches into some sort of political game. Hope I'm wrong in this case.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Toddstang » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:07 pm

WLJ wrote:
Call me cynical but I always feel there's a price, that's not always obvious, to pay with anything Obama signs not matter how good it may sound on the surface. Comes from 7 years of watching him turn everything he touches into some sort of political game. Hope I'm wrong in this case.
X2. Can't think of anything he signed that has been good. I'm sure little tit for tat things, but nothing big.

Tomahawk

Post by Tomahawk » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:52 pm

Well, since he signed the Bill i'm sure he got something out of it.

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Toddstang » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:16 pm

Tomahawk wrote:Well, since he signed the Bill i'm sure he got something out of it.
200,000 Syrian refugees.

Gunsmokin
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Gunsmokin » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:17 pm

Toddstang wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:Well, since he signed the Bill i'm sure he got something out of it.
200,000 Syrian refugees.
He gets it^^
jackalo626 wrote:Skibble dee dibbledy

Return to “Legal/Politics/Religious”