Obama Overrides Congress to Send $192 million to where??????

Want to discuss politics, religious affairs, legal items, this would be the place. Keep the discourse civil please.
WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by WLJ » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:34 pm

Someone tell this jackass we're broke!

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/danieldohe ... _authority
Obama Overrides Congress in Order to Send $192 Billion to Palestinian Authority

Daniel Doherty
Daniel Doherty
Web Editor, Townhall.com

Apr 28, 2012 08:30 PM EST

I suspect President Obama and his underlings are really hoping this late night maneuver goes unnoticed.

US President Barack Obama has lifted a ban on financial aid to the Palestinian Authority. Obama stated that the aid was “important to the security interests of the United States.”

The US Congress froze a $192 million aid package to the Palestinian Authority after its president, Mahmoud Abbas, defied US pressure and sought to attain UN endorsement of Palestinian statehood last September. The presidential waiver means that aid can now be delivered.

Ed Morrissey over at HotAir gives a more harrowing explanation for why Congress cut the funding in the first place.

Congress deliberately froze those funds, and not just because of the statehood demand through UNESCO. Hamas, a terrorist organization, reconciled with Fatah and has rejoined the PA, which means we’re putting almost $200 million into the hands of a terrorist organization. The language of the Palestinian Accountability Act could not be clearer: “[N]o funds available to any United States Government department or agency … may be obligated or expended with respect to providing funds to the Palestinian Authority.” Obama literally waived that statutory language off yesterday afternoon.

So how will Congress react? I can’t imagine leaders in the House and Senate were pleased to learn that President Obama – with a stroke of his pen – bypassed the legislative branch to fund an organization that sponsors terrorism and does not recognize Israel’s right to exist. More to the point, though, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and President Obama have a less-than-friendly working relationship. One can’t help but wonder how the president’s shocking decision to provide financial assistance to the Palestinian Authority will be interpreted by Israel. Still, now that the President of the United States is planning on giving away $192 billion dollars to a terrorist organization that threatens the national security interests of our closest, and only democratic, ally in the Middle East, the U.S.-Israeli relationship is about to get much more complicated.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Re: Obama Overrides Congress to Send $192 million to where??

Post by WLJ » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:41 pm

Crap the headline was wrong, should be millions not billions.
edited title to correct.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

Ian
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Ian » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:51 am

WLJ wrote:Crap the headline was wrong, should be millions not billions.
edited title to correct.
No it was billions. Had to read the article twice haha.

Jesus this guy is stupid... There you go, go ahead and piss off Israel...
"Not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood, restless harbingers of violence and bloodshed, knowing no other path." Robert Howard

Till
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Till » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:10 am

BILLION!!!?????
---------------------Integrity, Honesty, Discipline, Respect-------------------------
WLJ wrote:Damn I need to install a Till filter.
GeminiXD9 wrote:I hope your fu**in car falls apart while your doing 70 on the highway

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:12 am

Oh right, the F'ing story goes back and fore on it being millions or billions. Proof read your story people!

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by WLJ » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:19 am

I first had the title say billions, the same as the links title, then noticed the story said millions and thought it can't be billions, the SOB can't be that stupid, and edited the title to say millions.

Armyastro

Post by Armyastro » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:54 am

it is MILLIONS not billions, they have had most of the money for a few months now, they got 45 million the end of last year and another 88 or 89 million in march but the US put a shit ton of restrictions on the money and what it can be used for. Obama veto'd and signed to override the restrictions congress put on the money and now they can use the remaining money for anything they want.
from today;

By ASSOCIATED PRESS | 4/28/12 11:39 PM EDT

JERUSALEM - American aid officials said Saturday they will restore development programs for Palestinians after President Barack Obama ended a six-month funding freeze that shut down the local Sesame Street and other projects.

An official with the U.S. Agency for International Development confirmed that $147 million, which pays for infrastructure, education, humanitarian aid and health projects, had been restored.

In October, Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, R-Fla, froze $192 million earmarked for assistance to Palestinians as a penalty for their United Nations membership bid in September.

The U.S. opposed the United Nations bid, saying it preferred negotiations as a way to resolve the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Ros-Lehtinen used her power as a lawmaker to place a hold on money Congress had already approved.

Congress later released about $45 million. Then in March, Congress released another $88.6 million, but with strict limitations that the money could not be used for road construction or Gaza aid, among other areas.

Obama announced Wednesday he would override Congress and waive restrictions on all the remaining funds. He explained the move as in the "national security interests of the United States."
Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/04 ... z1tRfAWWGK

Armyastro

Post by Armyastro » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:59 am

WLJ wrote:I first had the title say billions, the same as the links title, then noticed the story said millions and thought it can't be billions, the SOB can't be that stupid, and edited the title to say millions.

As much as i dislike obama, it feels like someone punched me for me to say this but.. he didnt give them any money, congress approved the money that was given to them, then a female house rep from florida put the motion to add restriction on the already given money and freeze the rest. obama just used his magic pen to override the restrictions and the freeze on the rest of the money

kokopelli
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 17 times

Post by kokopelli » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:46 pm

this is bad. really bad.
joining the list of other bad, bad things.
Last year Hussein Obama basically told Israel that they were on their own, that Uncle Sam wasn't going to back them anymore. and now this?
If you're a Christian, or have read the Bible then you know that God specifically says that if you are not with Israel, then you stand against them, and any nation that stands against Israel will fall.
Timber.

CopperWires

Post by CopperWires » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:57 pm

What rubs me is that this guy doesn't think that our 236 year old checks and balances don't apply to him. First he pressures SCOTUS and now this? I do understand that he has certain abilities to get things done but his arrogance and disregard for our system angers me.

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Tue May 01, 2012 9:58 am

For god sake let's keep makeing us tax money fund the palestinians Sesame Street.

Restrictions are the dumbest shit I've ever heard. If I gave you $2000 and said pay your monthly bills but don't use a dime on entertainment, that may prevent you from spending the money I gave you, but it frees up $2000 of money you already had to pay the bills and you can use that on whatever you want.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

Return to “Legal/Politics/Religious”