Marine Watching Zim. Trial, Catches Cops Wearing Mil Ribbons

Want to discuss politics, religious affairs, legal items, this would be the place. Keep the discourse civil please.
scorpionmain
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Marine Watching Zim. Trial, Catches Cops Wearing Mil Ribbons

Post by scorpionmain » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:31 pm

Seems the Sanford Police Department decided to use DOD medals and ribbons because they did not have any of their own.

According to the article, Jeremiah Workman, a Marine who received the nations second highest honor, the Navy Cross was watching the Zimmerman trial when, Doris Singleton, a Sanford Police Officer took the stand.

He noticed the ribbon rack she was wearing, and posted it to his facebook page.

“Am I going blind or is this police officer in the Zimmerman -Martin trial wearing ribbons that she doesn’t rate?” he wrote alongside the photo he posted to Facebook.”
Two in particular stood out, he said: the World War II Army of Occupation Medalarmyoccupationribbon and the Defense Distinguished Service Medal.

It also looks like she is wearing the Army Good Conduct Medal, which if she served three years like she said, then she would rate that one.

Workman then called the Sanford PD according to the article on a blog at Militarytimes.

Workman got a hold of them and said they told him they didn’t have their own awards system, so they went to the Army-Navy store around the corner and picked out Defense Department military ribbons to fit their own format. The WWII was selected, the police department official told Workman, because they knew there weren’t many veterans from that period alive so they didn’t think people would notice.

“At the end of his explanation I thought to myself, ‘So that makes it all better now because these guys are dead?’ ” Workman said. ”The fact that that was their response is still pretty shameful, I think.”

Workman said police departments allowing military veterans to wear ribbons they earned while serving on their police uniform is fine with him. If they earned it, they should be able to wear it, he said.

“But what kind of professional police department would send Bob the patrolman around the corner to go pick out some ribbons for our officers to wear when they do something heroic or have good service over the years?” he asked.

Workman said the police department official told him that they’re going to change to their own ribbon system, which he was glad to hear. Now he hopes other police departments doing the same will think about their own regulations and change them too, he added.

So it does not look like the officer is at fault, seems she is only wearing what her department awarded her.

So my question to you is this, should Police Department;s and other agencies be allowed to use DOD ribbons for their own use? In my opinion, and according to 10 USC 771-772, no they are not allowed to.

But it could also cause confusion, as it did in this situation. I mean, a police officer wearing a Silver Star ribbon may turn a few heads. Thoughts?
http://guardianofvalor.com/marine-watch ... wwii-vets/
"Among the natural rights of the colonists are these: First a right to life, secondly to liberty, and thirdly to property; together with the right to defend them in the best manner they can."
–Samuel Adams

Harb

Re: Marine Watching Zim. Trial, Catches Cops Wearing Mil Rib

Post by Harb » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:54 pm

It's not called "militarization" of the police for no reason...

Kadnine
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Kadnine » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:22 am

Hmmmmm....

After a cursory review of the ribbons in questions, IF she spent time in the service, and IF she's earned the ribbons displayed, and IF her police department allows display of said ribbons.... means i have no problem with them. I'm not an expert on Army ribbons. I'm USMC. But with this added controversy over an already contentious case, this in particular could be resolved immediately by one of her superiors who knew her in the Army with access to her DD214 willing to put his/her name to a public letter affirming all is as it should be.

If the prosecution team is serious about giving Zimmerman a fair trial, they could clear this matter up in a matter of a few days and a few phone calls.

But given the way they've handled this matter thus far? I'm not exactly holding my breath. This case has been sloppily handled since day two, when the DA pursued an indictment in spite of the on-the-scene judgement of the responding officers.

IMO

- Keith
~~~

"'...what it is to be a bondservant thou knowest full well, but of freedom thou hast never yet made trial, to know whether it be a sweet thing or not. For if ever thou hadst experience thereof, thou wouldest counsel us to fight for it not with spears only but with axes.' Thus the Spartans answered Hydarnes." - Herodotus

~~~

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:33 am

No, they shouldn't use DOD ribbons. There are plenty of web sites and uniform stores that could get them some ribbons made up for less than a pair of tube socks.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by WLJ » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:39 pm

I see 6 ribbons on her chest

1. Gallantly putting 100 parking tickets on windshields in a single month, rain or shine.
2. Capturing 5 jay walkers in a single operation
3. Didn't using turn signal for 10 years straight
4. Bought the whole station donuts 3 times in one year.
5. Inserted her Glock into her side holster without shooting herself in the leg, twice!
6. Didn't wreck her patrol car for a whole year.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:47 pm

justang1997 wrote:No, they shouldn't use DOD ribbons. There are plenty of web sites and uniform stores that could get them some ribbons made up for less than a pair of tube socks.
Agreed.

BIGC
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by BIGC » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:59 pm

Keith,

I am not thinking anyone has a problem with her displaying the 1 military ribbon on her uniform she did earn for her years in service, I am thinking the problem is the fact that 2 of the medals on there are reserved for WWII vets and we know she is not of that generation....
1 Corinthians 13:13

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

http://stores.ebay.com/Big-Cs-Survival-Store?_rdc=1

Kadnine
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Kadnine » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:17 pm

jackalo626 wrote:
justang1997 wrote:No, they shouldn't use DOD ribbons. There are plenty of web sites and uniform stores that could get them some ribbons made up for less than a pair of tube socks.
Agreed.
Police applicants in most states give preference to ex-mil types for a reason. And if this FL department allows the uniform display (as long as it's not fraudulent,) I don't see a problem. But others may have a different opinion, of course.

I'm jes sayin', not knowing the officer personally, and given all the "ifs" about this case, well, there are are a LOT of "ifs" to be considered, I can see why this Marine raised the ribbon question. And that this could be be cleared up quickly if the department in question weren't so incompetent. But again... I'm not holding my breath, here.

I've got friends on the Louisville force who HATE ex-MP's because they come from a different style of discipline, and are jealous of the 10 automatic points they got on their entrance exam.

Without exact details, the most likely explanation is just friction between military and LEOs, IMO

(BIGC - That WWII ribbon, to best of my knowledge since I've been researching this issue, was FIRST issued in WWII and was continued to be awarded to anyone who served in occupied Germany until the wall came down for reunification. Again, without seeing the DD214 we won't know. The Forida PD could clear this up in a phone call or two.)

- K

{{{{{{ AMENDED SEE BELOW }}}}}
~~~

"'...what it is to be a bondservant thou knowest full well, but of freedom thou hast never yet made trial, to know whether it be a sweet thing or not. For if ever thou hadst experience thereof, thou wouldest counsel us to fight for it not with spears only but with axes.' Thus the Spartans answered Hydarnes." - Herodotus

~~~

Kadnine
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Kadnine » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:24 pm

As new details come out about about her ribbons? My hackles are definitely raised!

How does one person serve in the Army, Marine Reserve, the Philippines, the USAF all at the same time??? AS A CURRENTLY SERVING PD OFFICER? AT THAT AGE?

Something's definitely off here. Where there's smoke there's fire, and I smell smoke.

- K
~~~

~~~

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:16 pm

I think you're missing the point. The issue isn't a young police officer misrepresenting herself. The issue is a police department is re-purposing military medals instead of coming up with their own.

I don't like it.

Kadnine
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Kadnine » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:20 pm

Frailer -

I think I'm starting to get it as more and more details come out. But I'm of the persuasion of "Never assume malice when simple incompetence is more likely." Especially when early reports are sketchy (which, as a matter of fact, led to the quick indictment of Z in the first place!)

But as to guarded valor questions raised here, this? This is sounding worse and worse every hour. Incompetence doesn't explain this. I don't like it either.

As to the re-purposing" argument, I'm well aware of the argument against re-purposing used mil-equipment to civilian SWAT and such. Give the local cops a bunch of new toys and naturally they'll find a reason to use them! Agreed. Bad idea.

But these are just ribbons! I don't like it. But it ain't the same as a hand-me-down-tank. I think we can agree on that?

- K
~~~

~~~

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:26 pm

Frailer wrote:I think you're missing the point. The issue isn't a young police officer misrepresenting herself. The issue is a police department is re-purposing military medals instead of coming up with their own.

I don't like it.
Correct and what I was saying in my above post.

Kadnine
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Kadnine » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:49 pm

Guys? You have me convinced.
~~~

~~~

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:55 am

Kadnine wrote:...But these are just ribbons! I don't like it. But it ain't the same as a hand-me-down-tank...
Of course not.

Nevertheless, these little bits of cloth hold meaning for some of us, and seeing them used for something other their intended purpose doesn't sit well.

Kadnine
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Kadnine » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:15 am

Okay... My KAC day online in a nutshell...

I, myself, wear several bits of those small cloth. I wear my CAR proudly. But given the sketchy details of the original article? I just preferred to do my own independent investigation. After twelve hours or so, new details emerged that lent me towards your conclusion. I assure you no one values those small bits of cloth more highly than I do.

In the future tho, may I ask ya'll politely not to jump so ugly on me regarding my offering alternative explanations for such controversies while the details are yet discovered? You know how sensitive we Marines can be... we storm beaches and take lives while translating Arabic and being all sensitive and sh*t! Do you even know how hard it is to be a "sensitive" Marine?

(NSFW VIDEO BELOW) Funny as Hell, tho!

[youtube]IbZrit29x14[/youtube]

If the Mods pull it down, PM me and I'll send the link ;)

- Keith
~~~

~~~

Return to “Legal/Politics/Religious”