Truth to this?

Want to discuss politics, religious affairs, legal items, this would be the place. Keep the discourse civil please.
Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 12 times

Truth to this?

Post by Mexican Kerry » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:12 pm

Just read a post on a forum here in Canuckistan, is this new or old?

Australia style gun control in U.S.?
On Monday, the Court of Appeals for the Second U.S. Circuit issued a long awaited decision on the constitutionality of the most drastic gun control law in U.S. history, the New York SAFE Act of 2013. The Second Circuit ruled that nearly all of the law does not violate the Second Amendment.

The SAFE ("Secure Ammunition and Firearms Enforcement") Act was presented to the New York State Senate and passed into law in 15 minutes. No debate was allowed, and senators did not have time to read the bill before voting it into law.

The SAFE Act is a complete ban on the sale or transfer of all military-style semi-automatic rifles manufactured within the past several decades. It is a total ban on the AR-15, AK-47, M-14/M-1a, HK G3, Steyr AUG, and many other civilian copies of military firearms. Prior to the passage of the law, Gov. Cuomo publicly stated that he was considering "confiscation" of existing rifles, but the final version of the law allowed existing owners to keep their rifles as long as they registered them with the State. Upon the death of the owner, the rifle will be confiscated; it cannot be transferred to an heir within New York State.

The SAFE Act also enacted a complete ban on the possession of all firearm magazines capable of holding more than 10 rounds. The law contains no "grandfather" provision for previously legal items.

Beyond that, the SAFE Act banned all private transfers of firearms, except among spouses, parents, and children; it created an ammunition purchase background check and ammunition purchase registry; it banned the private sale of ammunition except from a licensed dealer; and it created a secret reporting requirement under which "mental health professionals" must report anyone suspected of being a "danger" to the State Police for mandatory gun confiscation.

Now that the Second Circuit has upheld the law, residents within the court's jurisdiction have no recourse except to take the case to the U.S. Supreme Court – where there will be a guaranteed four votes against the Second Amendment. As I wrote last year, Gov. Cuomo and former Mayor Bloomberg, the backers of the SAFE Act, were betting that the law will be upheld by the Supreme Court, thus paving the way for a national version of the law (which has already been introduced in the Senate by Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif.). Indeed, Cuomo immediately called for a national SAFE Act as soon as the Second Circuit issued its ruling Monday.

The Second Circuit's decision comes only one week after both President Obama and Hillary Clinton publicly praised the Australian and British mass gun confiscations of the 1990s.

If the SAFE Act is upheld by the Supreme Court, nothing prevents Congress from summarily outlawing tens of millions of firearms overnight. Once those firearms become contraband, the government may confiscate and destroy them without compensating the owner (just as the government confiscates and destroys illegal drugs).

The Second Circuit's decision leaves the Second Amendment in its gravest peril ever. Second Amendment rights are now hanging by a one-vote margin in the same Supreme Court that upheld Obamacare and declared a national right to gay marriage. Constitutional conservatives and Second Amendment supporters ought to be terrified over the prospect of Justice Scalia having a heart attack during a Hillary Clinton presidency.

The Second Circuit's decision places the hands of the Second Amendment doomsday clock at two minutes to midnight. If you think "it can't happen here," you're wrong.

It already is happening here.
Posted by Hickok45 on Facebook
Anyone confirm?

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member

Re: Truth to this?

Post by Mexican Kerry » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:13 pm

If so, I guess my guns may not be safer if I mail them South.

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 63 times

Post by Marcus » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:17 pm

I hadn't read that but doesn't sound excessively different from previous attempts.
Mandy wrote:I meant Marcus post, he's like ninja slicer, he's nice he's nice he's nice, ....SWISH... he cuts your effin head off ;)

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mexican Kerry » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:19 pm

Apparently posted by hickok45 so I assumed there was truth to it haha. No way for me to verify it though I'm practically computer illiterate. My wife signed me into KAC the first time and I just left the laptop open after that.

jmeister
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by jmeister » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:51 pm

yep that's how the Safe Act was passed, yes the appeals court of the 2nd circuit upheld most of it except for the 7rnds in a 10rnd mag thing. Whether our not it goes to the Supreme Court and if they would even hear it remains to be seen.

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 0

Post by Frailer » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:09 pm

There is one error I found:

"If the SAFE Act is upheld by the Supreme Court, nothing prevents Congress from summarily outlawing tens of millions of firearms overnight."

In truth, there's nothing preventing Congress from doing this tomorrow.

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by Rem700 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:17 pm

Frailer wrote:There is one error I found:

"If the SAFE Act is upheld by the Supreme Court, nothing prevents Congress from summarily outlawing tens of millions of firearms overnight."

Exactly. And to clarify that was NY only. Liberal utopia with no gun violence now that they can't have scary black rifles.

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mexican Kerry » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:26 pm

I like to think of myself as a fairly level headed person, I don't usually jump to conclusions and hit panic mode. Especially knowing the media is so subjective and prone to omitting key details in order to suit an agenda and create a sensation (boost ratings/sell papers/gain support/etc).

However these are scary, uncertain times for legal firearm owners. We are feeling this on both sides of the border. There are big problems in the world, whether or not I can keep a gun may pale in comparison to the challenges others may face.

But in MY world, this is one of the big concerns.

jmeister
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by jmeister » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:36 pm

The Highland Park case is the one to keep an eye on, it will reach the SCOTUS first

Eireguy
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Eireguy » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:52 am

Frailer wrote:There is one error I found:

except the tens of millions of firearms

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 102 times

Post by Toddstang » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:52 am

Plus this was passed right after a psycho committed a mass shooting. The libtards played on people's emotions and instead of focusing on the real issue, it was easier to blame the gun.

Return to “Legal/Politics/Religious”