Lawsuit Filed - Armslist

Want to discuss politics, religious affairs, legal items, this would be the place. Keep the discourse civil please.
ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Lawsuit Filed - Armslist

Post by ChopperDoc » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:35 pm

http://www.businessinsider.com/gun-cont ... ny-2012-12

Gun control advocates filed a groundbreaking lawsuit in Chicago Wednesday seeking to make companies that sell firearms over the Internet more accountable.

The lawsuit filed by the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence specifically names Armslist.com, an Internet gun website that links gun sellers with potential buyers.

It was filed on behalf of the family of 36-year-old Jitka Vesel, a former Chicago elementary school teacher who was killed last year by a stalker. According to the complaint, the killer purchased the gun illegally in a sale facilitated by Armslist.

The lawsuit is the first of its kind against a gun website for causing a shooting, but attorneys said they hope the case will lead to stricter government controls for Internet gun sales that currently are largely unregulated.

"Gun sellers and website operators who knowingly funnel guns to killers and criminals must be held accountable," said Jonathan Lowy, the Brady Center's legal action project director and counsel for the family. "We as a nation are better than an anonymous Internet gun market where killers and criminals can easily get guns."

According to the complaint, Vesel, an immigrant from the Czech Republic, was shot and killed by Demetry Smirnov, a Russian immigrant residing in Canada who had met Vesel online three years earlier. He stalked her to the parking lot of the Czechoslovak Heritage Museum, where she worked as a volunteer, and shot her 11 to 12 times with a .40-caliber handgun.

Smirnov was convicted of murder and is serving a life sentence in prison, Lowy said.

Lowry said that sales conducted over the Internet often have been linked to illegal gun trafficking, sales to minors as well as mass shootings at Virginia Tech and Northern Illinois University.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/gun-cont ... z2EyDP7LxN
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 61 times

Lawsuit Filed - Armslist

Post by ssracer » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:39 pm

I'm suing Craigslist because someone bought a car from there then drove drunk and killed a loved one.

That makes just as much sense

Looksdeadtome
Been liked: 0

Re: Lawsuit Filed - Armslist

Post by Looksdeadtome » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:02 pm

That's messed up. Only in Chicago.

Jhud
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Jhud » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:21 pm

The lawsuit is quoted saying:
"Gun sellers and website operators who knowingly funnel guns to killers and criminals must be held accountable."
It is the "knowingly" thing that's got me. I don't know anyone who'd sell a gun to a would be killer/criminal. It's the buyers responsiblity to know the law and be lawful anyway.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by guncrank1 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:54 pm

I guess the Brady group overlook the GCA 68 and GCA 86

awesomePOSSUM

Post by awesomePOSSUM » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:05 pm

First of its kind against a website for causing a shooting.

That's stupid. The website didn't cause the shooting. The man did.
You seem to have me confused...

You don't need a black rifle to be cool, but it sure helps.

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 61 times

Post by ssracer » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:14 pm

"According to the complaint, the killer purchased the gun illegally in a sale facilitated by Armslist."

So what he did was already ILLEGAL.....lets sue and make more laws to make it MORE ILLEGAL.....that'll stop criminals....

1fastmach1

Lawsuit Filed - Armslist

Post by 1fastmach1 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:34 pm

We all know criminals will get firearms regardless of the laws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BIGC
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by BIGC » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:47 am

The bad thing is the idiots that get on there (armslist, kyclassifieds etc) and dont care about the law.... I asked a guy for a KY ID during a sale on kyclassifieds one time and he said "I dont need an id, your not a gun shop" so I told him to fuck off and get lost because I wasnt chancing selling a gun to an out of state buyer......
1 Corinthians 13:13

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

http://stores.ebay.com/Big-Cs-Survival-Store?_rdc=1

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by WLJ » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:54 am

Could some explain to me again why my rights should be taken away because of what some thug did?
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by WLJ » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:03 am

This is just a test case, if this succeeds then they'll go after the bigger fry, gunbroker, Buds etc... Then since that didn't stop murders, start going after local dealers all the while using a win in the armslist case as precedent.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

Return to “Legal/Politics/Religious”