Violence Against Women Act

Want to discuss politics, religious affairs, legal items, this would be the place. Keep the discourse civil please.
ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Violence Against Women Act

Post by ChopperDoc » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:42 am

It sounds like something that everyone should get behind, after all violence against women is a terrible thing and there should be a law against it.

Oh wait...there is.

States have many laws already, there is also the 1994 Violence Against Women Act that was passed. Now it is up for reauthorization with some interesting addons.

Why do we need more, and why from the Federal Level?

One only has to peruse the bill to see the "why"?

Pandering. Pandering in an election year to various groups that the incumbent Democrat President needs to vote his way. Almost $1 Billion dollars of your money going to a lobby group for "Women's Rights", a back door amnesty program? An illegal alien can make the accusation of domestic violence to get special services and likely even a Visa to stay in the country. Not a conviction, mind you, only the accusation. Special considerations for American Indian women as well as same sex couples. perhaps there are one or two special interest groups that did not get mentioned and don't get money? Oh, and certainly when they are spreading out the money, not much of it is going to actual victims. Most is going to the special interest groups to "research" and "combat" violence against women"

Throughout the bill the reader is give the impression that the legal stance is that all men are potential abusers and all women potential victims. It even goes so far as to bypass due process and require the responding officer to make an arrest to a domestic violence call, even if he sees no evidence of wrong doing. let me give an example where this could be a terrible thing from my own experience.

My girlfriend and I had a new surround sound system put in and were watching a movie (probably a little too loud, but it was only 6PM in the evening). We were cuddled up on the couch, barely dressed and about to to turn off the TV and get busy any minute when there was a pounding on the door and a constant barrage of the door bell. I muted the TV, slipped on my jeans and went to see who it was. it was a male and female LMPD officer.

They told me they were responding to a domestic violence call. I told them they must have the wrong address, but they confirmed that a neighbor called in complaining of the sounds of someone getting beaten up and screaming. Once the officers were allowed to enter my home and look around, question my girlfriend privately, etc, etc, they were satisfied that there was nothing going on and either my neighbor heard something on TV that he confused or he was just pissed about the noise and figured the cops would respond quicker to a domestic violence call than a "TV too loud" call. Now, under this new law, SOMEONE would have to be arrested. Dimes to doughnuts that someone would be me (the man) and not the woman. Guess who gets their guns confiscated in a situation like that and has to fight to get them back? Guess who has to surrender their Concealed Carry permit? All because a neighbor called something in. What about a vindictive soon-to-be-ex calling in a false report? A mandatory arrest directive does not leave much room for the responding LEO to make their own call. They only have to choose who gets to ride downtown.

Want to hear more that is worse? There is the possibility that this law will MANDATE PROSECUTION. What does that mean? it means that even if the woman drops the charges and says there is (was) no abuse, the LEO are obligated under federal law to prosecute anyway. maybe now is a good time to get on some kind of pre-paid legal services retainer program?

Here is a link to the Reauthorization Act and all the proposed changes that have come out of the judiciary committee on a Democrat party line vote.

http://www.leahy.senate.gov/imo/media/d ... ionAct.pdf

The fear is (and rightly so because the Libs are starting the 'war' already) that any opposition from Conservatives (and there has been some already, especially on the Due Process ramifications and the illegal immigrant issues) will be met with "Republicans Hate Women" They don't want them to have safe abortions, free contraception or be able to protect themselves against brutal men attackers". In the face of this argument, how many Republicans will stand and fight for what is right in an election year?
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Re: Violence Against Women Act

Post by WLJ » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:56 am

Reminds of all the time and millions they spent on getting an ordinance passed here that made it illegal to beat the crap out of someone because they're gay. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it already illegal to beat the crap out of somebody for any reason?
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

Ian
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 0

Post by Ian » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:56 am

I need to move this nation is dwindling faster and faster. I always wondered with all the crap I have done would I make it to 25, by then it won't matter.
"Not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood, restless harbingers of violence and bloodshed, knowing no other path." Robert Howard

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 111 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Rem700 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:51 pm

WLJ wrote:Reminds of all the time and millions they spent on getting an ordinance passed here that made it illegal to beat the crap out of someone because they're gay. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it already illegal to beat the crap out of somebody for any reason?
Bingo but now they can attack another name to it...hate crime, domestic violence, prejudice against women, etc....which means they can charge it differently(harsher) than before. Doesnt make much sense to me either because those acts were already illegal but im no politician...they always know what they're doing! :llama:

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by WLJ » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:16 pm

Rem700 wrote:
WLJ wrote:Reminds of all the time and millions they spent on getting an ordinance passed here that made it illegal to beat the crap out of someone because they're gay. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it already illegal to beat the crap out of somebody for any reason?
Bingo but now they can attack another name to it...hate crime, domestic violence, prejudice against women, etc....which means they can charge it differently(harsher) than before. Doesnt make much sense to me either because those acts were already illegal but im no politician...they always know what they're doing! :llama:
Yep, if a gay guy beats the crap out of me, he gets charged for a beating with nothing on the news about it. In a day or two he out walking the street again. I beat the crap out a gay guy and I'm charged with a beating plus charged with a hate crime and every local and 3 or 4 national news crews are outside my house. I may be out in 5 to 10 years.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 111 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Rem700 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:19 pm

WLJ wrote:
Rem700 wrote:
Yep, if a gay guy beats the crap out of me, he gets charged for a beating with nothing on the news about it. In a day or two he out walking the street again. I beat the crap out a gay guy and I'm charged with a beating plus charged with a hate crime and every local and 3 or 4 national news crews are outside my house. I may be out in 5 to 10 years.
Amen....sucks to be a staight white male in todays society :llama:

Tyler
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Tyler » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:02 pm

Ian wrote:I need to move this nation is dwindling faster and faster. I always wondered with all the crap I have done would I make it to 25, by then it won't matter.
Where are you gonna go? Where else will you enjoy the GOD given rights we enjoy here? Even with our rights under attack, where would you rather be?
Height Supremacist

scorpionmain
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by scorpionmain » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:27 pm

Tyler wrote:
Ian wrote:I need to move this nation is dwindling faster and faster. I always wondered with all the crap I have done would I make it to 25, by then it won't matter.
Where are you gonna go? Where else will you enjoy the GOD given rights we enjoy here? Even with our rights under attack, where would you rather be?
Pick one:
Country ratings from Freedom House's Freedom in the World 2011 survey, concerning the state of world freedom in 2010.[1]
Green= Free (87) Yellow=Partly Free (60) Purple=Not Free (47)
http://www.freedomhouse.org/research/fr ... ed2005.pdf

You will find many of these sort of GOD given freedoms in many countries, though.
I won't quibble over who is in the Number One spot. I'm just glad to live in a nation that has a 1.0 rating.
Last edited by scorpionmain on Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Among the natural rights of the colonists are these: First a right to life, secondly to liberty, and thirdly to property; together with the right to defend them in the best manner they can."
–Samuel Adams

scorpionmain
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by scorpionmain » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:27 pm

...but, I think "freedom" is best defined as freedom from government restriction.
"Among the natural rights of the colonists are these: First a right to life, secondly to liberty, and thirdly to property; together with the right to defend them in the best manner they can."
–Samuel Adams

Dustin
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 40 times

Post by Dustin » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:29 pm

KAC needs to buy and Inland. Start your own country.
"What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." Thomas Jefferson

Tyler
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Tyler » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:34 pm

scorpionmain wrote:...but, I think "freedom" is best defined as freedom from government restriction.
Which of the green countries on that map have garuanteed rights to own firearms which ensure the upholding of all other rights? I don't know the answer, but I'd guess it's maybe one or two of them.
Height Supremacist

Lio
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Lio » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:43 pm

WLJ wrote:
rem700 wrote:Amen....sucks to be a staight white male in todays society
That is not entirely true at all. The courts have to prove that the beating was motivated by the fact that he was gay or vice versa. And hate crimes are not just restricted to gay ppl or minorities. If a white person was beat up for the fact that they are white, then the perpatrator can defly be charged with a hate crime.

DDgunslinger

Post by DDgunslinger » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:44 pm

eh

Shineybore
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Shineybore » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:33 am

All they have to do is what you tell em, right?

J/K of course....

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:25 am

The minute someone kicks my ass , im claiming to be gay , transgender, black thing, then your ass is in for it. just treaten me and ill get an order of protection and ll your gun rights are gone!

Return to “Legal/Politics/Religious”