Suunto Ambit short review after a few months

Think of the cool gadgets we all love, this would be the place to post about them.
shelbygoat
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Suunto Ambit short review after a few months

Post by shelbygoat » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:20 am

I purchased this watch as I wanted just another source of GPS on me for my line of work. Knowing where I am, where I am going, and finding out where the bad guys are is my job. I also like gadgets that are smaller than what the Army gives me to do this job. The device the Army gives us(This beauty) is not huge, but it is when you add it to everything you carry with you on your person. Before this watch I use a Garmin Foretrex 301 attached to my vest and it works very well for what it is. In some aspects, better than the Ambit.

After charging it up and messing around with the menus and the instructions book I was able to set it up exactly how I wanted it, showing me the MGRS option for my position. It takes a bit more time to start tracking than the Garmin, but once locked on, it works the same.

I wear this watch everyday and has replaced my G-shock. I also use this watch to record my morning runs. I can look down and see my pace, distance, and all that. The downside I have found to wearing it daily is that the side button does get pressed throughout the day and goes to the barometer and not the time screen, which isn't that huge of a deal to me. Battery life used as just a regular watch is very good between charges. I haven't gotten it below 50% at all yet between charges. It's been going 2 weeks now and it was down to 65% when I just plugged it up today.

In my opinion, this watch is good for a person that actually uses GPS in there line of work and it helps to have it near them when they need it. While it also works in many other capacities such as a personal training device, there are much cheaper alternatives used for that purpose. I like it a lot and it is holding up well getting banged around on my wrist daily.

shelbygoat
KAC Member
KAC Member

Re: Suunto Ambit short review after a few months

Post by shelbygoat » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:38 pm

small update to this:

I have been wearing the watch daily and I still find it useful and part of me now. I have used the GPS feature on a few occasions to measure out runs and roadmarch routes that we have mapped out. As far as charging it goes, I don't plug the thing in unless it gets really low, as I don't use the GPS feature that much to warrant me charging it all the time. I may charge it every 3 weeks with normal everyday use. It is a lot less than I thought I was going to have to charge it when I first got it. Very nice. The bezel is getting worn a bit and show some silver through the black, but that is normal wear, at least in my line of work. Mostly from being in the turret of the Bradley working around the 25mm.

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:26 pm

Pics :-D

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk 2

shelbygoat
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by shelbygoat » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:41 am

You can see the finish is worn a bit.
Attachments
1384673981948.jpg

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:03 pm

They have plastic lenses on them and scratch very easy. That goes for all of the Suunto watches that I have read about. There is no reason they shouldn't be using mineral glass on a watch in that price range and intended use.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:03 pm

They have plastic lenses on them and scratch very easy. That goes for all of the Suunto watches that I have read about. There is no reason they shouldn't be using mineral glass on a watch in that price range and intended use.

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:06 pm

Man the military passes out tons of gear to the individual soldier these days. I remember just getting a compass and map and clear overlay for coordinate determination

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:09 pm

Buy some iphone screen protector and cut it for the watch.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:15 pm

justang1997 wrote:Buy some iphone screen protector and cut it for the watch.

There's a fix for everything but a $200-$300 watch intended for outdoor use should not need that type of modification.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:16 pm

justang1997 wrote:Buy some iphone screen protector and cut it for the watch.

There's a fix for everything but a $200-$300 watch intended for outdoor use should not need that type of modification.

shelbygoat
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by shelbygoat » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:34 pm

jackalo626 wrote:They have plastic lenses on them and scratch very easy. That goes for all of the Suunto watches that I have read about. There is no reason they shouldn't be using mineral glass on a watch in that price range and intended use.
Mine is not plastic, not like the cheaper Core. This one is also not issued, purchased to make my life a lot easier.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:45 pm

shelbygoat wrote:
jackalo626 wrote:They have plastic lenses on them and scratch very easy. That goes for all of the Suunto watches that I have read about. There is no reason they shouldn't be using mineral glass on a watch in that price range and intended use.
Mine is not plastic, not like the cheaper Core. This one is also not issued, purchased to make my life a lot easier.
Cool if not plastic and I never thought it was issued. Maybe someone else said that?

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:45 pm

shelbygoat wrote:
Cool if not plastic and I never thought it was issued. Maybe someone else said that?

DDgunslinger

Post by DDgunslinger » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:08 pm

I don't know what Model you are referring to Jack, the Core runs domed mineral glass

Here is a review with all the specs:http://watchreport.com/2008/10/review-o ... -core.html

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 61 times

Post by ssracer » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:58 pm

All suuntos have plastic lenses and AKs never jam!!! /Jack

:llama:

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ssracer » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:58 pm

All suuntos have plastic lenses and AKs never jam!!! /Jack

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:50 pm

DDgunslinger wrote:I don't know what Model you are referring to Jack, the Core runs domed mineral glass

Here is a review with all the specs:http://watchreport.com/2008/10/review-o ... -core.html
I could have sworn that some models have plastic lenses and several guys I had seen complain on the watch forums I frequent. Yes I go to watch forums also. You can buy plastic covers I am finding but mineral glass is under so maybe they were complaining about that plastic being scratched.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:51 pm

ssracer wrote:All suuntos have plastic lenses and AKs never jam!!! /Jack

;)

DDgunslinger

Post by DDgunslinger » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:12 am

jackalo626 wrote:
DDgunslinger wrote:I don't know what Model you are referring to Jack, the Core runs domed mineral glass

I could have sworn that some models have plastic lenses and several guys I had seen complain on the watch forums I frequent. Yes I go to watch forums also. You can buy plastic covers I am finding but mineral glass is under so maybe they were complaining about that plastic being scratched.
These are probably the same guys that never wear said watches, they are still in the box and tucked away in the safe. Next to there $4k LaRue OBR that has never been fired.....fu@king douchebags

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:45 am

DDgunslinger wrote:
jackalo626 wrote:

These are probably the same guys that never wear said watches, they are still in the box and tucked away in the safe. Next to there $4k LaRue OBR that has never been fired.....fu@king douchebags
I hear ya man I never speak on something unless I know usually but I swear I read that somewhere. I have been shopping for a new watch like crazy lately and seen someone talk about the thing being scratched easy. I see its mineral crystal so I stand educated. Ps I seen one of those model Suunto at cabelas in the discount back room out of box for $160ish for those who are looking but I don't remember the model. I have had some expensive watches in my day but I sold them and prefer well rounded models more such as dive watches with chronos and gshock, expeditions, etc.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:45 am

DDgunslinger wrote:
jackalo626 wrote:

I hear ya man I never speak on something unless I know usually but I swear I read that somewhere. I have been shopping for a new watch like crazy lately and seen someone talk about the thing being scratched easy. I see its mineral crystal so I stand educated. Ps I seen one of those model Suunto at cabelas in the discount back room out of box for $160ish for those who are looking but I don't remember the model. I have had some expensive watches in my day but I sold them and prefer well rounded models more such as dive watches with chronos and gshock, expeditions, etc.

DDgunslinger

Post by DDgunslinger » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:15 pm

I ran GShocks for several years they are solid watches, I got a pretty good deal on the Suunto Core I have and have been pretty happy with it those far.

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ssracer » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:20 pm

I need to get my gshock in the mail back to casio

Shineybore
KAC Member
KAC Member