Value minded gear for long range shooting

Boots, packs, mag pouches, clothes, pens, whatever tactical gear you can think of discuss here.
ken6881
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by ken6881 » Thu May 21, 2015 3:57 pm

So I have been getting more and more into long range shooting and I am realizing more and more that its alot more than a rifle that can shoot sub moa at 100 yds but all the other gear that goes along with it.
Current gear
caldwell Cronograph
bipod
Savage FCP10-SR 308 win 20" fluted & threaded barrel.
SWFA 10X42 mil/mil scope
Ipad with ballistic software (free at the moment thinking strelok pro next)

I am in search of some good value equipment dont feel I need any TOP END equipment but not interested in junk.
Equipment I am looking for are:
Rangfinder (1000+ yard capable and 500 yard deer size)
Wind speed/ weather station( looking at weatherflow- kestrel just seems high but it might be worth it)
anything else that you guys would find useful

Plan is to get to 1000yds with this gun shooting 168 amax bullets. I have made good repeatable hits at 566 yds on a round 12" plate but wind has been my biggest down fall so far Getting that first round hit just hasnt happened on smaller targets mostly for guessing low on mph with no way to measure the wind.
Ky CCDW Instructor

DDgunslinger

Re: Value minded gear for long range shooting

Post by DDgunslinger » Thu May 21, 2015 4:03 pm

A Bushnell Spotting Scope and Range Finder will do everything you need them to and not break the bank. I'd pick up a Dope Book from Tactical Tailor to keep logs. Reading wind is more of an art, at 1000m the wind at your location maybe complete different than at your target. It would be cheaper to buy some range flags to place by the target and your location.

DDgunslinger

Post by DDgunslinger » Thu May 21, 2015 4:05 pm

Then I'd recommend taking some Long Range Classes to refine your marksmanship skills. Hope that helps give you some insight.

ken6881
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ken6881 » Thu May 21, 2015 4:22 pm

Do you offer any long range classes. I could come up with 3-5 guys who would like to have a class.
I was looking at the dx1000 which seemed like it would do what I was interested in doing on the bottom end Considered there 1 mile range finder but its at the top end of what I would like to spend (but my wife has already told me I am good to go if its what I want)
I have a simmons 20-50x spotting scope but its all but useless in my opinion just really poor quality glass just not clear at all.
Ky CCDW Instructor

samb.

Post by samb. » Thu May 21, 2015 6:18 pm

If you are on a budget why not learn to estimate range via your mil dot reticle? Ranging is an incredible skill to know when it comes to long range shooting. Wont always have that range finder.

As for making that coveted 1000yd shot I would rather spend my money on a decent reloading setup and get the most out your rifle and ammo, ammo will be cheaper allowing you to shoot more for the same costs, while being more accurate.

DDgunslinger

Post by DDgunslinger » Thu May 21, 2015 6:22 pm

ken6881 wrote:Do you offer any long range classes. I could come up with 3-5 guys who would like to have a class.
I was looking at the dx1000 which seemed like it would do what I was interested in doing on the bottom end Considered there 1 mile range finder but its at the top end of what I would like to spend (but my wife has already told me I am good to go if its what I want)
I have a simmons 20-50x spotting scope but its all but useless in my opinion just really poor quality glass just not clear at all.
We are currently not offering long range classes, possibly in the future when a range becomes available.

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Thu May 21, 2015 7:26 pm

If it were me, I'd take a class at FTW Ranch or a similar facility.

After that, I'd probably have not only a good idea of what sort of gear I'd need, but I'd also be better able to use it.

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Thu May 21, 2015 8:49 pm

All shooting starts with fundamentals, Make sure you have well honed fundamentals and if not that you are working on building fundamentals. Fundamental positional marksmanship is in my opinion the single best tool to build fundamentals as well as identify flaws in ones shooting platform. Now I don't know what your capable of at your current skill , but will say that 500 meters offhand , iron sighted , hits on a IPSC target are well within the capability of a shooter with honed fundamentals.

As for your kit

My guess is that you are shooting targets in some sort of safe accessible area, such as a field or the woods or something along the lines. In this case a GPS is a darn accurate way to find range, as always though, you should look for ranging in a few ways , and use as many as possible on each target. Laser Rangefinder, Mil dots, Topo maps and areal photos, and if you get real geeky, theodolites.

Use a long flagpole of some sort with length of surveyors ribbon at the target as a wind flag , the flag pole should have a painted area of a known length to aid in the mil reading.

You need an angle indicator of some sort, a home made inclinometer works well enough , but you need this because some physical forces require you to use true range, and some require actual range. Again read some and you will learn more.

A spotting scope is the best way to read the wind beyond physical indicators such as blowing leaves or grass. The spotting scope will not only help you identify targets and bullet placement , but you can read mirage with it. There is a bunch of information on the web, do some reading. When you read mirage don't take one reading, Try to take 3 readings, at the FFP, at the Target, and at the Max ordinate , again do some reading.

Dont use the clock method of wind detection, interpolate your reading to come up with the most accurate reading you can get. Again reading on this subject will prove very useful .

Get a non contact thermometer , air temp is not near as important as ammo temp, to add to this you should be tracking and recording your muzzle velocity variation. You should track this as close as possible , it will also help indicate when the rifle needs to be cleaned. Record the ammo temp, the muzzle velocity , and the bore conditions.

Barometer , they got watches to do this now, as well as various other devices , any one should work but you dont want corrected Barometric readings like most all weather stations supply. You must know the atmosphere your shooting threw.

Humidity , Contrary to what the military manuals say, the higher the humidity the less resistance you bullet will face. I know it sounds strange , but science is science. I use the humidity of the day reading as a slight variation has little effect but none the less it should be accounted for.

RECORD EVERYTHING! remember the better you record, the better you formulas. Loose the computer or shot program or what ever, you can use that later after you have a good understanding of doing it long hand. Build a primary functions and secondary functions table , find or build a calculation sheet capable of helping you work out a firing solution.

Man I could talk for days on this subject but in short its fundamental, information, and experience.

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Thu May 21, 2015 9:06 pm

Your gun and scope, off the shelf match grade ammo, and a log book should be all you really need to get out to 1000 yards. As was already said, learn to read the wind through the scope without any fancy equipment. Your spotting scope should be good enough for you to focus it at mid range to the target and read the wind from mirage. Cut you some 1 meter tall targets to make using the mil reticle easier.
My personal best is a second round hit on a man size target that I milled through the scope to be 923 yards.

ken6881
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ken6881 » Thu May 21, 2015 9:32 pm

Appreciate all the responses
I have a 566 yard range across a slight valley with a big hill to shoot into. so the target at that range is about equal elevation. I have been using gps so far for ranging along with mil dots. Probably watched 90% or tibasourus rex's videos on youtube and done alot of reading over the last12-28 months. And have worked on manually calculating solutions but have found that bulletdrop App does a good job of matching my manual solutions for drop and wind.
I have a weather station that I used back when we drag raced that gives humidity, pressure, density altitude and some other values but have not had it out in a long time.

I am a civil engineer and have access to 25k gps units for surveying so for my range I can get VERY accurate distances actual and horizontal at my personal range but I would like to be able to set up targets at random distances and engage then with first round hits at moa size targets without having to drop a point on a gps because i feel that really doesn't help me when at some point I would like to do some long range hunting where that would be out of the question.

Also I will add I have access to 1200 yds about 5 mins from my house and across the road at my grandparents house the farmer lets me shoot there and I have 1.5 mile road bed across a flat field that I can shoot down.
Ky CCDW Instructor

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 47 times

Post by PDM » Fri May 22, 2015 9:42 am

Check out Sniper's Hide online training
"The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or the state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."
Tench Coxe

ken6881
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ken6881 » Sat May 23, 2015 8:41 am

I will do that pdm.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432384265.498742.jpg
3 rnds 566yards cold bore 7am this morning
Figured up my dope last night for spin drift, coriollis, and drop. Went out to figure wind this morning it was dead calm so that simplified the shot. The bottom shot was the first and it felt bad as soon as I sent it. The other two I felt pretty good about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ky CCDW Instructor

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Sat May 23, 2015 8:47 am

Nice shootin', Tex!

Crush, kill, mangle, maim, destroy.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

ken6881
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ken6881 » Sat May 23, 2015 10:01 am

Thanks wyldman. The farthest spread was from the tip of my middle finger to the web. Until I get back out there to measure it I think it's 3.5" at 566 so about .62 moa more than happy with that. Tomorrow morning I will repaint the target and see how I do if I have time. Wife and baby usually sleep into 8 so I have a little me time from 5:30 tell then.

I'm surprised with this savage I can reach the lands and still feed from the mag I'm really liking that. My 700 30-06 had to have 190gr bullets barely in the case to get close to the lands and would not fit the mag.

Ky CCDW Instructor

ken6881
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ken6881 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:32 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433367039.779292.jpg
Wind meter I got for 34.99. Seems good for the price.

Ky CCDW Instructor

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 47 times

Post by PDM » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:49 am

ken6881 wrote:I'm surprised with this savage I can reach the lands and still feed from the mag I'm really liking that. My 700 30-06 had to have 190gr bullets barely in the case to get close to the lands and would not fit the mag.

That is surprising. I was thinking too, "You can't do that with a 700."

That wind gadget is interesting. Use with an iphone?
"The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or the state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."
Tench Coxe

Return to “Tactical Gear”