EDC fleshlight

Boots, packs, mag pouches, clothes, pens, whatever tactical gear you can think of discuss here.
Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: EDC fleshlight

Post by Frailer » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:47 pm

richief wrote:This may be a lil small judging by what all yee are carrying but does everything I need a pocket light for.
Streamlight micro stream, and has a reversible clip for pocket carry or the bill of a cap.
This. Best flashlight for all-day, every day, all-the-time pocket carry, period.

That said, there's always an Elzetta Alpha in my bag that gets transferred into my pocket if I'm headed someplace where I'm likely to need something more potent.

JustShootIt
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 3 times

Post by JustShootIt » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:06 pm

The micro stream is pretty awesome. Mine goes everywhere with me. IMO it's the perfect daily carry light....
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."(Edmund Burke)

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:30 am

Attached is a pic of all lights recommended. The surefire g2pro is out of your price range and does not have a clip. I threw in a led lenser M5. High low and strobe. It is 100 lumens, 1AA battery, about $50 and has a lanyard you can dangle out for easy access like a clip. The micro stream is 24 lumens, stylus pro is 48 lumens, protac 2aaa is 96 lumens with high low and strobe. PT2L pictured is 180 lumens but new models are over 200 lumens and are programmable high low strobe. PT2L is my vote for best pocket clip ever. Dont get the PT2aa, because it isn't as bright and is longer and heavier and is too long for some pants pockets.
Attachments
WP_20150610_04_19_10_Pro.jpg

PDM
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 47 times

Post by PDM » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:46 am

Check out foursevens preon. I've carried a p2 for years. It is a super high quality light and a lot nicer than the streamlight imo. https://www.foursevens.com/products/flashlights/Preon

Another good budget light is a thrunite. This one has my attention http://www.thrunite.com/thrunite-archer ... d_search=0
"The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or the state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people."
Tench Coxe

Toecutter1978
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 14 times

Post by Toecutter1978 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:43 am

That Thrunite has some crazy high stats, 400 lumens off of 2 AA batteries and able to run that way for 100 minutes. WOW! That firefly setting sounds interesting.

Toecutter1978
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Toecutter1978 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:46 am

The reviews on Amazon are hit and miss, especially folks giving it 1 and 2 stars.

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:36 pm

Toecutter1978 wrote:That Thrunite has some crazy high stats, 400 lumens off of 2 AA batteries and able to run that way for 100 minutes. WOW! That firefly setting sounds interesting.
There is no way to get 400 lumens for 100 minutes out of 2 AA batteries.

I strongly recommend watching the Elzetta videos that explain the way the performance figures some companies use are calculated.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 336 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Niceguy » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:56 pm

I don't like a super bright light for a carry light. 99 times out of 100 you need enough light to see. Not enough to illuminate a stadium and blind the shit out of yourself. Just my opinion though.

rustynuts
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 82 times

Post by rustynuts » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:11 pm

I like my super bright Surefire 6PX to use at work. Lights up the aircraft to show any issues or damage. I keep a Steamlight ProTac HE in the car (high/low/strobe) and one by the front door.
Last edited by rustynuts on Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rustynuts
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 82 times

Post by rustynuts » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:12 pm

ProTac HL, not HE.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:28 pm

Niceguy wrote:I don't like a super bright light for a carry light. 99 times out of 100 you need enough light to see. Not enough to illuminate a stadium and blind the shit out of yourself. Just my opinion though.
Word

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:29 pm

Frailer wrote:
Toecutter1978 wrote:That Thrunite has some crazy high stats, 400 lumens off of 2 AA batteries and able to run that way for 100 minutes. WOW! That firefly setting sounds interesting.
There is no way to get 400 lumens for 100 minutes out of 2 AA batteries.

I strongly recommend watching the Elzetta videos that explain the way the performance figures some companies use are calculated.
This is true and regarding Elzetta, I believe they are the toughest lights out there. That being said their price is ridiculous and I will never buy one near that price point.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:32 pm

Toecutter1978 wrote:The reviews on Amazon are hit and miss, especially folks giving it 1 and 2 stars.
I watched a the thrunite video once where the drop test consisted of a new light being dropped low and it was broke immediately. Conclusion, typical or not I can tell you I won't have one. People always say "for serious use".... anything I use it for is serious use. Why would you have a list of things you don't care if your light works through or not?

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 76 times

Post by KYgundude » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:35 pm

jackalo626 wrote:This is true and regarding Elzetta, I believe they are the toughest lights out there. That being said their price is ridiculous and I will never buy one near that price point.
This explains how I feel. I'm a flashlight Fanatic and excitedly waited for the Alpha to come out thinking Elzetta might finally come out with a sub 100 dollar price point light. Total fail in my eyes. I will NOT pay 130 bucks for that thing. Are they the best? Probably. Are they that much better than my Surefire for what I use it for. I don't think so. Guess I won't find out. If they do one day come out with a 79.99 Ellzetta though, I'll be in line to buy one.

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:32 pm

KYgundude wrote:
jackalo626 wrote:This is true and regarding Elzetta, I believe they are the toughest lights out there. That being said their price is ridiculous and I will never buy one near that price point.
This explains how I feel. I'm a flashlight Fanatic and excitedly waited for the Alpha to come out thinking Elzetta might finally come out with a sub 100 dollar price point light. Total fail in my eyes. I will NOT pay 130 bucks for that thing. Are they the best? Probably. Are they that much better than my Surefire for what I use it for. I don't think so. Guess I won't find out. If they do one day come out with a 79.99 Ellzetta though, I'll be in line to buy one.
I feel the same way about expensive wristwatches. I won't pay a premium for cool points. ;)

I deployed with Surefire lights for years, and the first one I bought back in 1999 (with an updated Malkoff LED head) still sits in my nightstand drawer for things that go bump in the night. For me, they're the standard against which other lights are measured.

That said, if I lost my Elzetta Alpha I'd replace it immediately. An extra $50 or so is a small price to pay for a flashlight that I *know* will work when I absolutely must have light.

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 61 times

Post by ssracer » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:31 pm

I need to get another alpha now that my other one rides on my SBR...the bravo just seems too big to carry now..lol

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:23 pm

Frailer wrote:
KYgundude wrote:
I feel the same way about expensive wristwatches. I won't pay a premium for cool points. ;)

I deployed with Surefire lights for years, and the first one I bought back in 1999 (with an updated Malkoff LED head) still sits in my nightstand drawer for things that go bump in the night. For me, they're the standard against which other lights are measured.

That said, if I lost my Elzetta Alpha I'd replace it immediately. An extra $50 or so is a small price to pay for a flashlight that I *know* will work when I absolutely must have light.
The difference in watches isn't all cool points since that comment should have been aimed at me and not Niceguy. Investment is the difference and market. I could buy a Rolex or Omega and either get my money back within the next couple years or have it a few or more years and make a profit on a watch. That is something a flashlight won't do. To each their own though.

KYgundude
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 76 times

Post by KYgundude » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:09 am

Yes it's just 50 bucks more but where does one draw the line? The surefire was just 30 more than my olight which was fine. As for watches I semi agree. For time and only telling time a cheap watch is probably nearly as good. The reasons for owning watches are much more in depth. I don't own a watch because between my fitbit and GPS running watch (technically a watch I suppose), I've always got the time on my wrist.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Toecutter1978
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Toecutter1978 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:32 am

Watches, I look at it like this. Can a high-end watch survive the riggers and trials that let's say a G-Shok or Expedition? They are beautiful to see and hold. I just don't see a reason for paying so much for something that can break if I would accidentally slam my hand into a wall or something. Maybe I feel this way since most are way out of my price range, or I just don't understand the luxury market.

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:54 am

I didn't mean to derail the thread, nor was I taking a shot at any of the luxury watch fans on this forum. I was merely commiserating with those who don't wish to pay a great deal of money for a common, daily-use item.

Back on topic, Elzettas are chump change compared to some of the flashlights out there. There are guys standing in line waiting to shell out a couple days' pay for the newest, coolest boutique light just so they can post a picture of it in their their "EDC pocket dump" on some forum.

But all that aside, I still say that for the vast majority of us a little sub-$20 Microstream is the best choice for an everyday pocket light.

Toecutter1978
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Toecutter1978 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:26 pm

I derailed the thread with the title. I just got done talking to a doctor that explained the finer points of luxury items. It is the skill and craftsmanship invested in said item. Comparing a tuxedo watch to an outdoor watch is apples to oranges. I see that now. Also, his gold Rolex was sweet.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:57 pm

Toecutter1978 wrote:I derailed the thread with the title. I just got done talking to a doctor that explained the finer points of luxury items. It is the skill and craftsmanship invested in said item. Comparing a tuxedo watch to an outdoor watch is apples to oranges. I see that now. Also, his gold Rolex was sweet.
I was just about to say what you said and the apples to oranges is right. I see where you were coming from as well. You don't pay for toughness on a luxury watch. You pay for materials, craftsmanship, brand (matters for resale), etc.

Return to “Tactical Gear”