??? on 1911 magazine and recoil spring

The beautiful creation that god gave us so that we might smite our enemies.
BK Meyers
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by BK Meyers » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:22 pm

Have 2 questions in regards to a 1911. Both of the pistols in this question are Taurus PT1911 models. Both were bought used, one has a rail and the other is standard (non-rail). The railed unit has an aftermarket mag well so I am wondering if some other work may have been done as well. The standard unit appears to have been used very little while the railed unit appears to have been used more but still functions flawlessly.

Question #1 - when releasing the slides of both units (using the slide stop lever) the slide on the railed unit returns to the forward position (battery??) with more force than the non-railed unit. Would this be caused by a stronger recoil spring in the railed unit??

Question #2 - I bought a couple of surplus Colt 7-rd magazines, primarily to use in the non-railed unit. One magazine works very well. The 2nd magazine has me puzzled. When using the 2nd magazine the pistol does not hold the slide open after the last round is fired. The non-railed unit has no problems with LRHO with any other magazines I have tried. What is even more puzzling is that this same magazine performs just fine in the railed unit and LRHO is not an issue.

Thoughts or advice??

Thanks,
BK

God made man.
Samuel Colt made all men equal.
John M. Browning and the 1911 made some men more equal than others.

Toddinlou
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 0

Post by Toddinlou » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:45 pm

Could be a worn recoil spring causing the difference. I know my 4" Kimber needs a new spring after 1500 rounds or so. Otherwise the spring rate may have been upped to a heavier spring (22# is popular iirc) from the stock weight of 18ish. By upping the weight on the recoil spring you can sometimes solve feeding problems with hollow points or wad cutters as well as some say reduce wear on the pistol. If it works with various ammo then no need to change it. I'm no gunsmith so maybe Cranky or MK can chime in too. I'm no help on the mags other than Wilson 47d and Kimber Tac Pro work well for me. 47D mags tend to need springs replaced more than others IMHO.

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Re: ??? on 1911 magazine and recoil spring

Post by guncrank1 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:24 pm

Yes could be a stronger spring
The follower on the magizine is not hitting the slide stop.

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 12 times

Re: ??? on 1911 magazine and recoil spring

Post by Mexican Kerry » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:37 pm

Haha I've never been in the same category as a gunsmith before! JMB would be rolling in his grave.

Standard spring rate in the ol 1911 I believe is a 16 lb, its what I try to keep in mine. They are cheap, I have decided to replace mine more often. Its amazing what a difference a new one will make.

As Cranky said, check the follower on the mag. A little bit tweaked and the tab for the slide stop might not function. If it works in one pistol but not the other, maybe compare the two slide stops. Maybe someone "worked" on one? Not sure why, but stranger things have happened. Or maybe its just barely catching in the pistol that works.

Return to “1911s”