First 1911 and looking for advice

The beautiful creation that god gave us so that we might smite our enemies.
swedge61
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

First 1911 and looking for advice

Post by swedge61 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:37 am

I have been lurking about the forum for awhile but this is my first post. I purchased a SA Range Officer yesterday. This is my first 1911 but not my first semi-auto. I have a glock and a SR22. I am getting ready to disassemble and clean the pistol but the manual supplied does not give the best instruction as to where to oil should be applied when reassembling.
Also any other hints, suggestions, or possible upgrades I should do with gun beside put rounds down range would be greatly appreciated.

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 1 time

Re: First 1911 and looking for advice

Post by ChopperDoc » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:33 pm

Did not watch this vid, but there are hundreds more on youtube with info on what you are looking for.

Congrats on the new gun.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
[youtube]tVkbcEERxZI[/youtube]
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

swedge61

Post by swedge61 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:20 pm

Thanks for the link ChopperDoc. My search for videos was to specific. I kept putting Range Officer in the search instead of 1911. Live and learn.

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChopperDoc » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:26 pm

Glad I could help.

Welcome to the Forum.
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 63 times

Post by Marcus » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:28 pm

Go ahead and put the idiot mark on it and you'll never have to worry about it. :)

Seriously, with 1911's it's practice. Practice shooting, practice safety manipulation, practice disassemble/reassembly.

Congrats on your first 1911 and welcome to the forum.
Mandy wrote:I meant Marcus post, he's like ninja slicer, he's nice he's nice he's nice, ....SWISH... he cuts your effin head off ;)

Dustin
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 40 times

Post by Dustin » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:32 pm

idiot mark is the biggest worry on the 1911.
"What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." Thomas Jefferson

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Mexican Kerry » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:05 pm

I've put the mark on a couple of mine. Still shoot fine. I actually run mine without too much lubrication, I find knocking the crud off the feed ramp once in a while is more important than oiling it. More important yet, I've found that regular replacement of the recoil spring and a good mag is key to success with one of these pistols.

My pretty 1911s get more diligent care, but my shooters are given a scrub with a cloth once in a while and then re assembled. But I'm definitely not an expert, just my experience with them.

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mexican Kerry » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:07 pm

And congrats on buying a Springfield, best bang for your buck in a 1911 pattern pistol. See, you're new to it and you're already doing it right!

Marcus
Founding Father
Founding Father
Been liked: 63 times

Post by Marcus » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:23 pm

Don't let MK fool you. He is as close as you will find to an expert on 1911's.
Mandy wrote:I meant Marcus post, he's like ninja slicer, he's nice he's nice he's nice, ....SWISH... he cuts your effin head off ;)

RecoilSensitive
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 2 times

Post by RecoilSensitive » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:20 pm

One of the first things I would do is do a decent cleaning and lube, polish feed ramp if you plan to shoot hollowpoints ( my loaded did) and buy some Wilson combat 8rd mags
"But now," he said, "take your money and a traveler's bag. And if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36 NLT)

Mike
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Mike » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:42 pm

I must be doing something wrong because I didn't put an idiot scratch on my 1911 the one time I took it apart. In fact I have never put one on one. I'm hesitant to say I don't know how people put them on there because one day I might get a 1911 and screw up and do it!

Anyways, with the Range Officer, you can oil it up pretty good. I would apply a thin coat to the parkerized exterior surface, and then the exterior of the barrel and some on the other moving parts. Everyone's opinion on what is "correct" will be different. If it's metal on metal movement, it probably needs some lube.
:llama:

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mexican Kerry » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:11 pm

Not saying I'm proud of putting the scratch on mine, just not going to get too hung up on it. I bought my first pistol brand new (Springfield GI), took it out of the box and tore it down. Put the scratch on it that day when I was playing with it. Yeah I was pissed but I was also green as grass with pistols. I've also scratched one of my Mil specs, but I've probably taken it apart as many times as I've put a shot through it, so its bound to happen from time to time.

Also not saying I never lube them at all, but it is minimal. Once in a while it gets a wipedown with an oily cloth, and wiping the frame rails seems to be adequate for what I do. Maybe I'm doing it completely wrong.

BK Meyers
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by BK Meyers » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:07 pm

Good magazines are important. I like Chip McCormick Power Mags and Wilson Combat 47D units.

On the idiot scratch: When reassembling I will use a thin sturdy blade-type tool to depress the spring loaded pin. I can then insert the slide stop straight into the slide.

BK
God made man.
Samuel Colt made all men equal.
John M. Browning and the 1911 made some men more equal than others.

swedge61

Post by swedge61 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:43 am

Thanks for all your replies and information. I am going to clean and oil it up this morning and try to get to the range this weekend. I will probably have some more questions as time goes on.

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ChopperDoc » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:18 am

BK Meyers wrote:Good magazines are important. I like Chip McCormick Power Mags and Wilson Combat 47D units.

On the idiot scratch: When reassembling I will use a thin sturdy blade-type tool to depress the spring loaded pin. I can then insert the slide stop straight into the slide.

BK
I have also had good luck with the Kimber Tac Mags.

Return to “1911s”