Who drives a Kahr?

Sig Sauer, Taurus, Hi Point, Bersa, anything but Glock and Xd.
Manzanita
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Who drives a Kahr?

Post by Manzanita » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:11 pm

My primary carry piece currently is a Kahr CW9. Bought it nearly two years ago and have put probably a couple of thousand rounds through it, about a quarter of those reloads, without a single malfunction. My initial review from when I first bought it is posted on another forum here.

Original pic from review:

Since then I've discovered that it's a very natural point-shooter, at least for me, ridiculously reliable, and very easy to clean. I find the grip more comfortable than just about anything else I've fired and I can actually reach the mag release without shifting my grip; something I've had trouble doing with other handguns. Besides the grip, I think the barrel length is the perfect size; not so short as to be a wide patterned belly gun, not so long as to hinder concealment. Although I do miss the crisp trigger of a single action auto, I haven't found the relatively long trigger pull too big of a problem. My only complaint, if I had one, would be the "pull the trigger" step when field stripping. No matter how positive I am, no matter how many times I check, there's always that little wince when dry firing it before pulling off the slide.

The thinness of the gun is a big plus as I never did like the huge feeling of the double stack mags on my previous carry pieces, especially when carrying IWB. Some may find the 7+1 round capacity lacking. I figure if I'm planning on storming the castle, I'll pack along an AK with a satchel full of mags. With a spare mag fitting perfectly and discreetly in an old Toolzall Pro multitool pouch, I figure I've got enough rounds to give myself a good running start in the other direction from whatever was troubling me*.

I've carried an XDsc, EAA Witness, FNP-9, Taurus 605, Kel-Tec PF-9, and fired many more. I believe the Kahr may be the perfect concealed carry handgun. Definitely my favorite gun ever. Most of the time it rides in a leather OWB holster from Clament Custom Leather. I also have a couple of High Noon IWB holsters in the drawer for it.

If anyone else has one, what do you think about it?

* At least in rural Western KY. When I travel to Memphis to visit in-laws, for example, I'm a bit better equipped... more like Owen Pitt chasing a PUFF bounty.
Vobis non me dux

Toddinlou
KAC Member
KAC Member

Re: Who drives a Kahr?

Post by Toddinlou » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:46 pm

Good gun. I had one for a while. It's shot really nice. Ended up selling it to buy a M&P full size. The Kahr was the best out there for the price but the XDs and Shield have taken the single stack market over. When you can find them in the $300 range they are tough to beat on the used market.

Eireguy
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Eireguy » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:12 am

I really like mine as well . I did put an aftermarket guide rod in it http://guiderod.com/
7+1 suits me fine . Like you said if I'm storming the castle I'll bring a higher capacity one
You should check out the forum http://www.kahrtalk.com/ . Alot of info on there
Last edited by Eireguy on Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

SNL
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by SNL » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:04 am

Had a pm9 for a bit a couple years ago. Liked it for the most part. Ive had Glock 26/27 for a long time tho and shoot them better/faster, so I ditched it to carry a 26.

Stolen coach pic...

Manzanita

Post by Manzanita » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:55 am

Toddinlou wrote:Good gun. I had one for a while. It's shot really nice. Ended up selling it to buy a M&P full size. The Kahr was the best out there for the price but the XDs and Shield have taken the single stack market over. When you can find them in the $300 range they are tough to beat on the used market.
When I bought mine, the Shields were just becoming available. The gun shop had one in the case and I was sorely tempted, except that I'd been wanting a Kahr for so long I couldn't change my mind at the last second.
Vobis non me dux

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:05 am

Manzanita wrote:
Toddinlou wrote:Good gun. I had one for a while. It's shot really nice. Ended up selling it to buy a M&P full size. The Kahr was the best out there for the price but the XDs and Shield have taken the single stack market over. When you can find them in the $300 range they are tough to beat on the used market.
When I bought mine, the Shields were just becoming available. The gun shop had one in the case and I was sorely tempted, except that I'd been wanting a Kahr for so long I couldn't change my mind at the last second.

I have owned and shot both shields and a few of the kahrs. I like the Kahr better. Waiting to find a nine pretty reasonable again.

Return to “Semi-auto Handguns”