Do I want an FNP .45?

Sig Sauer, Taurus, Hi Point, Bersa, anything but Glock and Xd.
Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Do I want an FNP .45?

Post by Wyldman » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:42 pm

I have a shot at an FNP .45, NIB with 3 mags for $570.00. I don't need it, but am a .45 junky, as many here know. I have heard many good things about these pistols, and very few negatives. I do find the 15+1 capacity attractive, and don't mind full size handguns.

Is the price reasonable? I'm wanting opinions here, good, bad, indifferent, whatever. Speak!
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

Rem700
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 111 times
Been liked: 56 times

Re: Do I want an FNP .45?

Post by Rem700 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:15 pm

Yes get it lol!

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Dave1965 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:06 pm

My shop has a new one for 650. It's an ok deal I guess. I am sure they are just as great as the Fnp 9mm

Roman

Post by Roman » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:51 pm

I have never used or seen an FNP outside of a store. Aren't the mags stupid expensive?
I live my life, you live yours

"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."
- Thomas Jefferson.

Glock 17
Glock 26
AR-15: PSA 16" no frills.
Remington 870

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 102 times

Post by Toddstang » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:59 pm

Roman wrote:I have never used or seen an FNP outside of a store. Aren't the mags stupid expensive?
About $45 each

Roman

Post by Roman » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:59 pm

Toddstang wrote:
Roman wrote:I have never used or seen an FNP outside of a store. Aren't the mags stupid expensive?
About $45 each
That seems excessive?

"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."
- Thomas Jefferson.

Glock 17
Glock 26
Remington 870

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:03 pm

Really? Try buying some Sig, H&K, or even Ruger handgun mags. They all run in the same price range. Glock mags aren't that much cheaper.
IN GOD WE TRUST

Roman

Post by Roman » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:07 pm

Wyldman wrote:Really? Try buying some Sig, H&K, or even Ruger handgun mags. They all run in the same price range. Glock mags aren't that much cheaper.

I've never paid more than $25 for a factory glock mag. I'm just surprised at how much that magazine costs. Ive never priced or really wanted and HK because to me, it won't do anything that my glock won't do accept cost me more money.

- Thomas Jefferson.

Glock 17
Glock 26
Remington 870

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by jackalo626 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:13 pm

Wyldman wrote:Really? Try buying some Sig, H&K, or even Ruger handgun mags. They all run in the same price range. Glock mags aren't that much cheaper.
Same thing I was about to say.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:14 pm

Roman wrote:

I've never paid more than $25 for a factory glock mag. I'm just surprised at how much that magazine costs. Ive never priced or really wanted and HK because to me, it won't do anything that my glock won't do accept cost me more money.
We have all gotten things cheaper than retail and the quantity of Glocks out there makes them easier to sell cheaper sometimes but the retail is very much in the same ballpark as the others.

bigelowe
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time

Post by bigelowe » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:21 pm

Welllll, do ya? I like the competition bitone model with the threaded barrel and dovetailed for optics. Makes my wallet pucker looking at the price though. Sheeesh!!! Not gonna happen.
Not everyone can be a winner or get a trophy, we are raising a society full of pu**ies

2nd place is the 1st place loser.

Currently looking for that unicorn.

Roman

Post by Roman » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:22 pm

jackalo626 wrote:
Roman wrote:

We have all gotten things cheaper than retail and the quantity of Glocks out there makes them easier to sell cheaper sometimes but the retail is very much in the same ballpark as the others.

Understand. Dont want to thread stomp. I can make another thread to discuss mags.

- Thomas Jefferson.

Glock 17
Glock 26
Remington 870

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Dave1965 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:09 pm

To some, me included, its not about the cost of the weapon or the accessories...but rather if you want it, want to try it, and can afford it. Anything over a couple handguns could be construed as a want maybe than a need. Many people only have a couple at the most, others buy more or what they want so the cost of a few extra magazines is not a big deal.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:20 pm

Roman wrote:
jackalo626 wrote:
Roman wrote:

Understand. Dont want to thread stomp. I can make another thread to discuss mags.
It's not "thread stomping" when we are discussing the same topic the op asked about. We are talking about the gun and it's costs of ownership. He needs pros and cons so this is one that pro or con depends on who you are.

Roman

Post by Roman » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:25 pm

jackalo626 wrote:
Roman wrote:
jackalo626 wrote:
Roman wrote:

It's not "thread stomping" when we are discussing the same topic the op asked about. We are talking about the gun and it's costs of ownership. He needs pros and cons so this is one that pro or con depends on who you are.
Ok. Was just trying to be polite.

Then my question would be why not have a glock 21? Its high capacity. It doesnt have all the other crap the FNP has (that is unnessecary in my opinion). Its mags are far cheaper.

OP said in another thread he has an HK USP. So what does the FNP do other than be a cheaper, yet still expensive copy of the same style gun?

I guess if you just want to get one to collect 45s.... Your money, you do what you please with it. :)

- Thomas Jefferson.

Glock 17
Glock 26
Remington 870

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 334 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Niceguy » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:03 pm

If you shoot much at all, the ammo cost FAR exceeds the cost of gun or mags so the way I see it is. If you can afford it and like it, buy it. You have just begun your total expense for that firearm...

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 102 times

Post by Toddstang » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:04 am

I love my MP5 clone and PSL but the prices of mags suck, but I would still pay $$$ for the mags if I needed them.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:26 am

Roman wrote:
jackalo626 wrote:
Roman wrote:
jackalo626 wrote:
Roman wrote:

Then my question would be why not have a glock 21? Its high capacity. It doesnt have all the other crap the FNP has (that is unnessecary in my opinion). Its mags are far cheaper.

OP said in another thread he has an HK USP. So what does the FNP do other than be a cheaper, yet still expensive copy of the same style gun?

I guess if you just want to get one to collect 45s.... Your money, you do what you please with it. :)
FNP have steel sights and not cheap Glock plastic sights, made in USA, comes with three mags vs Glocks only two mags, capacity is 15rds of 45 vs Glocks 13. Those come to my mind in the value of the FNP. Many reasons for different wants. The Glock has more options for aftermarket accessories such as holsters, sights, extended controls, etc.

Roman

Post by Roman » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:32 pm

jackalo626 wrote:
Roman wrote:
jackalo626 wrote:
Roman wrote:
jackalo626 wrote:
Roman wrote:

FNP have steel sights and not cheap Glock plastic sights, made in USA, comes with three mags vs Glocks only two mags, capacity is 15rds of 45 vs Glocks 13. Those come to my mind in the value of the FNP. Many reasons for different wants. The Glock has more options for aftermarket accessories such as holsters, sights, extended controls, etc.
The other side is a lack of aftermarket support, lack of holsters, lack of magazines (and expensive). Unless it comes with steel night sights, whats the real difference between plastic and steel sights? I've never had a sight break and I'd wager it isn't a common problem. I don't know a lot about FNP other than their long guns. It just seems to me it's not much better than a Glock 21, or the HK the OP referenced before. YMMV.

- Thomas Jefferson.

Glock 17
Glock 26
Remington 870

Dave1965
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Dave1965 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:46 pm

Them just stick to your glock and the rest of us will enjoy the FN pistols

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Wyldman » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:56 pm

I have a number of .45 pistols, including a G21 with more window dressing than Macy's. That's not my question. I wanted to know opinions on the FNP .45, hopefully from those with experience with them, or their smaller caliber bretheren. If you feel that you can provide realistic input based on internet, or other sourced, reading, then feel free to contribute, but you'll forgive me if I pay more attention to those with real hands on experience. Quibbling over a few bucks for magazines in the world of high dollar combat handguns just seems; well, silly, honestly. Yes, Glock makes a fine pistol, and for comparitively reasonable money, but it ain't the only game in town. To truly appreciate what you have, one must often try what one doesn't have or has never seen. New things come along all the time, and sometimes the next 1911 is just ahead on the road to perfection.
IN GOD WE TRUST

Tyler
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Tyler » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:16 pm

Knowing you, any FN pistol you buy better have tall sights and a threaded barrel.
Height Supremacist

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:47 pm

Roman wrote:[/quote]

The other side is a lack of aftermarket support, lack of holsters, lack of magazines (and expensive). Unless it comes with steel night sights, whats the real difference between plastic and steel sights? I've never had a sight break and I'd wager it isn't a common problem. I don't know a lot about FNP other than their long guns. It just seems to me it's not much better than a Glock 21, or the HK the OP referenced before. YMMV.[/quote]
I already mentioned holsters and aftermarket support being the con. There are a few things wrong with plastic sights specifically one handed manipulation being first. If you are depending on plastic sights for a defensive pistol and are having to rack them off of a table etc then I will put money on you needing a new set of sights soon. Another downfall even if a range toy will be the very first time it gets dropped, you will be needing new sights if they are plastic. I have owned 2 FNP pistols so I can speak of their quality, fit, and finish. I really like guns that have interchangeable mags I have found. It is a big bonus to be able to share mags for your carry guns to all take the same mags or heading to the range and just grabbing a few mags and using in several guns.

1fastmach1

Post by 1fastmach1 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:17 pm

Coach wrote:
Wyldman wrote:I have a number of .45 pistols, including a G21 with more window dressing than Macy's. That's not my question. I wanted to know opinions on the FNP .45, hopefully from those with experience with them, or their smaller caliber bretheren. If you feel that you can provide realistic input based on internet, or other sourced, reading, then feel free to contribute, but you'll forgive me if I pay more attention to those with real hands on experience. Quibbling over a few bucks for magazines in the world of high dollar combat handguns just seems; well, silly, honestly. Yes, Glock makes a fine pistol, and for comparitively reasonable money, but it ain't the only game in town. To truly appreciate what you have, one must often try what one doesn't have or has never seen. New things come along all the time, and sometimes the next 1911 is just ahead on the road to perfection.

Well said.

To add- try all flavors. I never knew how much i'd like an FNP until I tried it. Then it opened my door back up to the beretta m9, which I really really like and keep coming back to.

Wyld- I will say, screw some HK mags though. $45-60? HK hates you. :D
I've got a few HK pistols and I've never paid over 40 for a mag. I just bought six brand new in package P30 9mm mags for $180 bucks shipped. Pretty decent deal. It's hard to find good factory HK parts on the secondary market. The hkparts.net website commands a premium for everything. I've had to order from them a couple times and it didn't feel good. I bought a mark23 about four years ago and I've purchased a few mags for it. They were the most I've paid for HK mags and they were unfortunately $40 each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1fastmach1

Post by 1fastmach1 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:25 pm

Coach wrote:
1fastmach1 wrote:
Coach wrote:
Wyldman wrote:I have a number of .45 pistols, including a G21 with more window dressing than Macy's. That's not my question. I wanted to know opinions on the FNP .45, hopefully from those with experience with them, or their smaller caliber bretheren. If you feel that you can provide realistic input based on internet, or other sourced, reading, then feel free to contribute, but you'll forgive me if I pay more attention to those with real hands on experience. Quibbling over a few bucks for magazines in the world of high dollar combat handguns just seems; well, silly, honestly. Yes, Glock makes a fine pistol, and for comparitively reasonable money, but it ain't the only game in town. To truly appreciate what you have, one must often try what one doesn't have or has never seen. New things come along all the time, and sometimes the next 1911 is just ahead on the road to perfection.

Well said.

To add- try all flavors. I never knew how much i'd like an FNP until I tried it. Then it opened my door back up to the beretta m9, which I really really like and keep coming back to.

Wyld- I will say, screw some HK mags though. $45-60? HK hates you. :D
I've got a few HK pistols and I've never paid over 40 for a mag. I just bought six brand new in package P30 9mm mags for $180 bucks shipped. Pretty decent deal. It's hard to find good factory HK parts on the secondary market. The hkparts.net website commands a premium for everything. I've had to order from them a couple times and it didn't feel good. I bought a mark23 about four years ago and I've purchased a few mags for it. They were the most I've paid for HK mags and they were unfortunately $40 each.

HK hates you too. :) I have owned one. It was a great pistol. I sold it to wyldman. I wasnt willing to put the $$$ into it. I'm a mag whore.
I don't dispute the fact they are a little pricey but as someone else said to bitch about paying $40 for a mag for a high end semi auto pistol is pretty silly. You get what you pay for right?

Return to “Semi-auto Handguns”