DA/SA noob question

Sig Sauer, Taurus, Hi Point, Bersa, anything but Glock and Xd.
Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 336 times
Been liked: 92 times

DA/SA noob question

Post by Niceguy » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:42 am

How hard of a hit does one have to take to take to fire with a round chambered and hammer NOT cocked? Been carrying my CZ75 some this way and always something I wonder when I carry it.
Also same question with the SAO guns...Costello's sweet little Sig made me think of that also. Carrying a cocked pistol makes me nervous for some reason. The only one I have is my 1911 with a pretty light trigger. I never have a second thought about a chambered striker fired gun. Just the exposed hammer pistols. Loaded DA revolvers don't me don't bother me either. I've not had any accidental fires, not sure why pistols make me nervous to carry hammer back...

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Re: DA/SA noob question

Post by guncrank1 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:12 pm

With modern designed guns, pretty hard
All if not most have some type of block
Be it a safety or a firing pin block where the pin itself is blocked unless the trigger is pulled.

Sent Cranky Style from IPhone via Tapatalk
A gun smith
502-231-1118

guncrank1
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by guncrank1 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:14 pm

Like the series 70/80 Colt 1911

Sent Cranky Style from IPhone via Tapatalk
A gun smith
502-231-1118

ChopperDoc
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Post by ChopperDoc » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:09 pm

I would never recommend to someone to carry a 1911 in Condition 2 (round in chamber with hammer down). Asking for trouble, that is...

Dropping the weapon on the hammer could be enough force to cause it to fire the round chambered. And, to get the weapon in this condition you must have the weapon off of safe, pull the trigger and ride it forward with your had to ensure it does not fire.

As Cranky mentioned, all modern firearms are designed for carry with a round in the chamber. Understand the safety mechanisms of the gun you carry as well as the inspection criteria and function check procedures to regularly test those safeties.
"You rarely rise to the occasion, you usually just sink to your lowest level of training."

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 61 times

Post by ssracer » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:10 pm

I always have my 1911 cocked and locked if I'm carrying it. However, it does have a stop if you let the hammer down gently before it is actually touching the pin. Like 1/4 cocked or something.

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 0

Post by justang1997 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:37 pm

Gun was designed for cocked with safety on. That's the way I'd go.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk 2

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Niceguy » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:47 pm

I totally agree that is the way it should be carried and why I don't carry it. I have no problem holstering with it cocked and locked while out shooting and stuff, just I'm not comfortable regular full time holster it and forget it daily carry situation. My Dan Wesson 1911 has a very short light trigger and safety the flips on AND OFF very easily also. I wouldn't CC any gun I couldn't pull and shoot. Like my 1911, hammer down. My question was more for my DA/SA CZ-75 with one in the chamber and hammer down. The Sig was just a side thought after I saw Costillo's ad and thinking it would be a super sweet little carry gun if I could get comfortable carrying cocked and locked...

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ssracer » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:48 pm

My HK USP Compact was a DA/SA with decocker. Then decocked you would just about hit the hammer with a sledge. There were LOTS of drop test videos from various heights right onto the hammer on concrete. The concrete chipped and the hammer didn't move.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Niceguy » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:50 pm

ssracer wrote:My HK USP Compact was a DA/SA with decocker. Then decocked you would just about hit the hammer with a sledge. There were LOTS of drop test videos from various heights right onto the hammer on concrete. The concrete chipped and the hammer didn't move.
Awesome...That's the answer I was looking for!

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:33 pm

It will not go off unless the trigger is pulled, this is true of most all modern handguns. On old revolvers if you cock the hammer and see a pin on the end of the hammer, then these old ass relics should be carried on an empty cylinder.

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:53 pm

son of liberty wrote:It will not go off unless the trigger is pulled, this is true of most all modern handguns. On old revolvers if you cock the hammer and see a pin on the end of the hammer, then these old ass relics should be carried on an empty cylinder.
...if it's single action.

DA revolvers have had hammer blocks for over 100 years. Most of my Smiths have their firing pins on the hammer nose and are perfectly safe to carry fully loaded.

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:08 pm

Frailer wrote:
son of liberty wrote:It will not go off unless the trigger is pulled, this is true of most all modern handguns. On old revolvers if you cock the hammer and see a pin on the end of the hammer, then these old ass relics should be carried on an empty cylinder.

DA revolvers have had hammer blocks for over 100 years. Most of my Smiths have their firing pins on the hammer nose and are perfectly safe to carry fully loaded.
Your right , I did not think of them, and BTW, welcome to the 21st century .....Buck Rodgers, with your old ass wheel guns, hell in 1985 with the first lethal weapon they were making fun of them, pocket full of skeleton keys , and your pager and shit.......lol, but I bet it scares the shit out some indians dont it?

Sorry man I had to.

Frailer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Frailer » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:29 pm

son of liberty wrote:
Frailer wrote:

Your right , I did not think of them, and BTW, welcome to the 21st century .....Buck Rodgers, with your old ass wheel guns, hell in 1985 with the first lethal weapon they were making fun of them, pocket full of skeleton keys , and your pager and shit.......lol, but I bet it scares the shit out some indians dont it?

Sorry man I had to.
No worries. I've got a pretty thick skin. ;)

I've made the transition to Glocks for the most part, but they have no soul.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Niceguy » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:42 pm

son of liberty wrote:
Frailer wrote:

Sorry man I had to.
Hahaha!

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:32 pm

I carry my m9 beretta iwb. Cocked and hammer down. Safety off. I engage the safety and it drops the hammer then I take the safety back off. The hammer is blocked from the firing pin unless the trigger is fully to the rear.

Jff24Gordn
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Jff24Gordn » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:42 pm

ssracer wrote:I always have my 1911 cocked and locked if I'm carrying it. However, it does have a stop if you let the hammer down gently before it is actually touching the pin. Like 1/4 cocked or something.
Just a reminder, 1911s are not meant to carry at half cock.

Niceguy
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Niceguy » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:28 pm

justang1997 wrote:I carry my m9 beretta iwb. Cocked and hammer down. Safety off. I engage the safety and it drops the hammer then I take the safety back off. The hammer is blocked from the firing pin unless the trigger is fully to the rear.

That's the way I have been carrying the CZ75. It has the decocker installed so no safety. Hammer down but still able to simply draw and shoot. I feel that's what's best for me, I don't want to have to mess with a safety or cocking a gun in defense. I want to draw and shoot.

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 102 times

Post by Toddstang » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:30 pm

justang1997 wrote:I carry my m9 beretta iwb. Cocked and hammer down. Safety off. I engage the safety and it drops the hammer then I take the safety back off. The hammer is blocked from the firing pin unless the trigger is fully to the rear.

Isnt this military standard for the M9?

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by justang1997 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:47 pm

It was the standard in my unit but some units require the safety on.

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ssracer » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:07 pm

Jff24Gordn wrote:
ssracer wrote:I always have my 1911 cocked and locked if I'm carrying it. However, it does have a stop if you let the hammer down gently before it is actually touching the pin. Like 1/4 cocked or something.
I never go out half cocked :llama:

nashvegasmatt

Post by nashvegasmatt » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:40 pm

Jff24Gordn wrote:
+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geno
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Geno » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:25 pm

Most DA/ SA pistols utilize training to transition from da first shot to sa subsequent shots. If I carry a 1911, condition one only. Hammer cocked and safety on. Glock, rack the slide and keep your finger off the trigger until needed. Sig or Beretta, rack slide (load chamber) decock with lever or safety. When needed, as you draw, begin the rearward action of trigger and with TRAINING you should be able to break the shot as your arms lock out forward. Essentially the way any other pistol is used, only beginning the trigger rearward a bit sooner. JMHO
I know not what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future.

Neither Welfare nor political office were intended to be a career path!

son of liberty
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by son of liberty » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:06 pm

I feel the advantage of a handgun with a safety lever, is the ability to carry it cocked and locked with the nice single action trigger. IMO this is really the only thing the 1911 has going for it , beyond just looking good. I loath DA/SA, My way of thinking is that if you are going to carry a DA just carry a glock, and if your going to carry a SA carry one with the benefit of a nice precision trigger. The DA/SA is like the bastard son that dose not do anything well. I know the CZ can be altered to allow very nice SA only trigger pull, thats the way I would tune mine.

Firing pin block safety , is pretty much a standard feature in most all modern guns and prevents a drop fire or impact related discharge , though the work of man is not absolute.

looks like this

ssracer
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by ssracer » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:12 pm

son of liberty wrote:I feel the advantage of a handgun with a safety lever, is the ability to carry it cocked and locked with the nice single action trigger. IMO this is really the only thing the 1911 has going for it , beyond just looking good. I loath DA/SA, My way of thinking is that if you are going to carry a DA just carry a glock, and if your going to carry a SA carry one with the benefit of a nice precision trigger. The DA/SA is like the bastard son that dose not do anything well. I know the CZ can be altered to allow very nice SA only trigger pull, thats the way I would tune mine.

Firing pin block safety , is pretty much a standard feature in most all modern guns and prevents a drop fire or impact related discharge , though the work of man is not absolute.

looks like this
I agree. I didn't care for the DA/SA on my USP Compact

Return to “Semi-auto Handguns”