Dominion Arms (Norinco) Socom 18 First Impressions

FAL, SCAR, CETME, M1A, whatever... Post up.
Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 12 times

Dominion Arms (Norinco) Socom 18 First Impressions

Post by Mexican Kerry » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:04 am

Got home from work today, this rifle arrived while I was away. New version of the shorty M305 that Norinco has been making for a few years, this one has an 18.5" barrel, with a few minor changes and a new name. Socom owners may cringe, but China does what the hell it wants!

Took it out of the box, rifle was sealed in a bag with probably a quart of anthrax-laced oil. Haven't torn it apart to clean and degrease it yet, just gave it quick wipe to get the majority of it off the exterior.

Park job looks ok, its a decent looking rifle. The plastic stock is typical to the Norincos I've handled, sharp edges that need dehorning. The last one I owned actually was sharp enough to cut in some places, but a few swipes with a sanding block took care of it, and this one will get the same treatment.

The new gas block-mounted "navy" style sight and the reversed flash hider/muzzle break. Totally a looks thing, it shortens the oal a bit and doesn't offer any performance whatsoever other than maybe protect the crown a bit. In the extended position, it may do something, not sure. It simply unscrews and can be rethreaded on in the opposite direction, adding about 2" to the oal. The way its pictured it is just a sleeve over the barrel. *For anyone who may not be familiar with Canadian law, 18.5" is the magic number regarding the legal barrel length for non-restricted rifles.

Norinco's version of the classic rear sight, its gritty and crude. Will be replaced with a USGI or Springfield unit.

This version is sold under the name Dominion Arms, a company in BC that imports a pile of Chinese firearms and ammo. I bought the rifle and 1000 rds of ammo for 829 bucks. Worth it for the wow-bang factor alone, plus I still have a mountain of unused ammo from the last time I bought a similar package from this company. That rifle is gone, and when I saw the new deal available, I scooped one.

According to the internet reviews, these rifles are (and have always been) hit or miss. Problems with op rod guides, barrel indexing, too tight safeties, poorly machined bolts and receivers, head spacing, etc abound. Basically, buyer beware. The company Canada Ammo who imports and sells them has great service and has no qualms about replacement if the customer finds the firearm to be unacceptable.

The first one I owned would spit the mag release pin out after a few rounds, causing the rifle to lock up so you couldn't remove the mag without a helper with two screwdrivers, and I also had the bolt derail itself in the receiver when bump firing haha. The safety was also so stiff that in order to engage/disengae it, you had to use a screwdriver threaded through it to move it.

Anyway, back to the new Socom. Trigger is not too terrible, can't find my trigger gauge at the moment but feels like about 5-6 lbs of gritty Chinese mechanical perfection. The safety is worlds apart from my previous rifle, a light flick and its engaged/disengaged.

There are a few things I've found already that need addressing. The bolt catch engages with an empty mag, but unfortunately when I remove (wrestle) the mag out, the bolt drops on the chamber. This isn't uncommon with these, I've got to look at a few things and maybe replace the mag catch with an aftermarket unit. Another thing I'm going to do is replace the op rod guide with an aftermarket piece, this one has a really stiff and gritty feel. Other than that, I'm going to take it out and burn some powder to see how it performs.

I didn't really give my last one a fair shake, took it to the range a few times and rattled off some shots. I sold it before doing anything to it, it pissed me off and I didn't want to put the effort into making it a good shooter. I'd like to see if I can get this one to run smoothly, and maybe get some decent results with it. If I talk about selling it off, someone please remind me to follow through with my plans to get it dialed in haha. I want to like these rifles but I may need some help to keep on track.

Wyldman
KAC Member
KAC Member
Been liked: 0

Re: Dominion Arms (Norinco) Socom 18 First Impressions

Post by Wyldman » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:24 am

Tha's purdy, MK! It looks like with some TLC and a bit of know-how, it's got huge potential!

Ran across a gas block tool for pretty reasonable money that might come in handy here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SADLAK-Gas-Cyli ... 4616ed05ff
IN GOD WE TRUST

"That boy's paradigm don't always add up to four nickels...."

Ulwembu
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Ulwembu » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:35 am

I used to own one of the old M305's and it was a good rifle. I must admit I never shot it with iron sights though as they were very rough. The next owner swapped them out for national match sights and got good results with that set up.
DSR 506
IPSC 08-P69 Multi-Gun
Shooting at a range near you!

Next
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Next » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:42 am

Looks pretty good, so what is the price difference?

Rext
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Rext » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:22 am

I have a take off SOCOM 16 stock and rail system that might work for that gun if you are interested in it.

Kentucky Firearms
Kentucky's class three dealer
..When you just want to shhhoot!

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mexican Kerry » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:46 pm

Thanks for the offer but I'm going to stick with the factory piece for now. That stock is probably worth more than this whole rifle. I do know a couple people who might be interested though, shoot me a price if you want me to try getting it sold for you.

Roman

Post by Roman » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:41 pm

I would give my left nut to get a crack at an M1A and 1000 rounds for sub 1,000. Irregardless of its Chinese origin, just for the sheer I want one factory.
I live my life, you live yours

"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."
- Thomas Jefferson.

Glock 17
Glock 26
AR-15: PSA 16" no frills.
Remington 870

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mexican Kerry » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:50 pm

Keep yer nuts, they're worth more than one of these!

Quick visual check of the bolt lugs, lots of people are complaining about poorly machined bolts and receivers in this batch of rifles. No contact with one lug, or receiver contact points machined (read filed by hand) on angles. Also seen some reviews where bolt lugs shear off, I assume due to stress caused by only having contact with one lug.

This one appears to be a tighter fit, did a check with a light in the magwell. No light showing through contact points of lugs to receiver. I know this isn't too precise, but its at least an indicator that I don't have 1/8" gaps to deal with.

Mexican Kerry
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mexican Kerry » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:52 pm

Also dug into the bolt hold open issue. Engages with mag in place, but in absence of mag, bolt catch doesn't engage at all. Going to find a Springfield part or aftermarket and see if it improves. Looks like original piece is lacking some material.

Return to “Other Rifles”