The AK-47 and all variants therein.
WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Maybe a good time to look for a AK-74?

Post by WLJ » Sat May 24, 2014 11:31 am

What does life post 7N6 look like though? Many have made the mistake of thinking the import ban applies to all 5.45×39 ammo -
The reason I’m writing this blog post is because over the course of the last few days we’ve seen a couple of used 5.45×39 rifles come in on trade here at Copper Custom. I’ve made it a point to ask the customers trading in their AK-74′s why they’re doing so and each time the response has been the same, “I’m not able to get ammo for it so I want something else”.
Life after 7N6
http://www.thebangswitch.com/life-after-7n6/
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Re: Maybe a good time to look for a AK-74?

Post by jackalo626 » Sun May 25, 2014 4:51 pm

Thought about selling mine and still might. I have shot it once and have a few thousand rds of 7n6 sitting here collecting dust.

WLJ
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by WLJ » Sun May 25, 2014 6:18 pm

jackalo626 wrote:Thought about selling mine and still might. I have shot it once and have a few thousand rds of 7n6 sitting here collecting dust.
Trying to remember what yours looked like.
There are criminals among us who are both homicidal and incorrigible. Their parents took a shot at civilizing them and failed. Their school teachers took a shot at them and failed. The odds are overwhelming that government welfare programs and penal institutions took a shot at them and failed. If it ever becomes your turn to take a shot at them, don’t fail.

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Sun May 25, 2014 7:31 pm

WLJ wrote:
jackalo626 wrote:Thought about selling mine and still might. I have shot it once and have a few thousand rds of 7n6 sitting here collecting dust.
Trying to remember what yours looked like.
vcas sling, magpul grip, ak47 refinished stock, new cleaning rod, G2 trigger cleaning kit also, looks barely used.

justang1997
KAC Member
KAC Member
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by justang1997 » Sun May 25, 2014 8:15 pm

What would be a good deal on a 74 under these circumstances?

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk 2

gaston_kalash

Post by gaston_kalash » Sun May 25, 2014 8:21 pm

5.45 is still 10-15 cents cheaper a round than 5.56.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
SI JE PUIS

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Sun May 25, 2014 8:45 pm

justang1997 wrote:What would be a good deal on a 74 under these circumstances?

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk 2
not sure but it is still one of the least expensive centerfire rifles to shoot so they make up for it very fast when you shoot one even if you paid a bit more than for an AK47/AR/etc. I just don't shoot anymore so it doesn't save me anything. I have shot a rifle one time in the last 6 months if it has even been that recent.

Mudcat
KAC Member
KAC Member

Post by Mudcat » Tue May 27, 2014 7:44 pm

I sold mine it was due for a rebarrel and it just wasn't worth it to me. I ran a good 8000 rounds through it and it had that many through it before I got it.
I just sold my ammo stash as well I had 11 tins that I bought most at less than $170 and a few at $130. I probably should have just bought an Arsenal and been set for a while. But I decided to jump ship. I know there will be plenty of ammo around in the future. It may take a while for supply to catch up with scare demand.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

mike@meridian

Post by mike@meridian » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:22 pm

gaston_kalash wrote:5.45 is still 10-15 cents cheaper a round than 5.56.
Valid point. Why the urge to abandon 5.45x39mm? I've been seeing this with some of my customers pretty often in the last month or so. I usually bring up the following facts:

1) Foreign 5.45 is still being imported from a range of nations; it is only the Russian 7N6 which is no longer imported.
2) Most of the 5.45 steel case offerings from Hornaday to Wolf Performance are NON corrosive, unlike 7N6.
3) When compared to 5.56 NATO, 5.45x39 is still cheaper and will likely continue to be into the foreseeable future.
4) We have not imported Chinese steel core 7.62x39 M43 for a LONG time... Did it's ban kill the AK47 market? A resounding "nope" on that one.
5) With more contemporary offerings in the AR platform in 5.45 AND the proliferation of the AK74 in the US, there is an ongoing incentive for more domestic rifle/ammo production, as well as importation. This has no bearing on the 7N6 ban.

For those who remain on the "jump ship" school of though roster, I would remind you that the conversion of an AK74 to 5.56mm NATO only takes a barrel, bolt and magazine change (with minor fitting and work on the ejector) by a qualified gunsmith/armorer. The same can be said for a change to .300 Blackout as well... I've done several. Food for thought. Cheers -Mike
Meridian Ordnance LLC
07/02 SOT Gunsmithing, Refinishing & Sales
http://www.meridianordnance.com
Find us on Facebook at:
https://www.facebook.com/meridianordnance

gaston_kalash

Post by gaston_kalash » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:43 pm

mike@meridian wrote:
gaston_kalash wrote:5.45 is still 10-15 cents cheaper a round than 5.56.
Valid point. Why the urge to abandon 5.45x39mm? I've been seeing this with some of my customers pretty often in the last month or so. I usually bring up the following facts:

1) Foreign 5.45 is still being imported from a range of nations; it is only the Russian 7N6 which is no longer imported.
2) Most of the 5.45 steel case offerings from Hornaday to Wolf Performance are NON corrosive, unlike 7N6.
3) When compared to 5.56 NATO, 5.45x39 is still cheaper and will likely continue to be into the foreseeable future.
4) We have not imported Chinese steel core 7.62x39 M43 for a LONG time... Did it's ban kill the AK47 market? A resounding "nope" on that one.
5) With more contemporary offerings in the AR platform in 5.45 AND the proliferation of the AK74 in the US, there is an ongoing incentive for more domestic rifle/ammo production, as well as importation. This has no bearing on the 7N6 ban.

For those who remain on the "jump ship" school of though roster, I would remind you that the conversion of an AK74 to 5.56mm NATO only takes a barrel, bolt and magazine change (with minor fitting and work on the ejector) by a qualified gunsmith/armorer. The same can be said for a change to .300 Blackout as well... I've done several. Food for thought. Cheers -Mike
I got rid of my 5.45 ammo because I don't have a need for 5.45 ammo anymore. I got rid of my arsenal because they are crap and tired of paying for there over priced guns. I didn't sell my gun and ammo because of the ban and i contemplated building a 5.45 ar if only they made good mags. After all the trouble I went through with that slr104ur and a slr106fr I'm done with arsenal.

I'm now happy with my Colt LE6920 other than the finish. I ran 300 rounds this weekend flawlessly and I can't say I've done that with my slr104ur. Maybe the new one could have done it because it looked a whole lot better made than the first one but the first one left a sour taste in my mouth so I was done with it.

Not sure why everyone always says ak's are more reliable than AR's because I've never had any trouble out of any AR I've built or from the factory but have had tons of trouble out of AK's from different manufacturers. (Please no ak vs ar debate just stating my experience your mileage may very).

Your point is still valid to not jump ship from 5.45 ammo just because 7N6 was banned there is still other 5.45 ammo out there and maybe they'll try and bring some surplus 7N10 for cheap.

SI JE PUIS

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Maybe a good time to look for a AK-74?

Post by jackalo626 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:42 pm

While your experience is valid in having better luck with ar15's over AK's, it is not the general consensus with most people of that being true. Example: cars have certain common beliefs and if you were to put money on what newer car is more reliable for instance a Toyota Camry or a Chrysler 300 6 cylinder, then I can't imagine many people would say the Chrysler but I'm sure you'd find some knuckleheads to say that it was. Point is if I owned a bad Camry that gave me problems then like you i'd try the Chrysler because I've been burned no matter what others say. Ps this isn't calling AR's Chryslers lol.

gaston_kalash

Post by gaston_kalash » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:23 pm

jackalo626 wrote:While your experience is valid in having better luck with ar15's over AK's, it is not the general consensus with most people of that being true. Example: cars have certain common beliefs and if you were to put money on what newer car is more reliable for instance a Toyota Camry or a Chrysler 300 6 cylinder, then I can't imagine many people would say the Chrysler but I'm sure you'd find some knuckleheads to say that it was. Point is if I owned a bad Camry that gave me problems then like you i'd try the Chrysler because I've been burned no matter what others say. Ps this isn't calling AR's Chryslers lol.
exactly. My FIME ak was ten times the gun than any of my arsenals even my wasr 10 was good considering what I paid for it. I'm still a AK fan but I'll be driving a AR for a while pun intended lol.

SI JE PUIS

jackalo626
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post by jackalo626 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:55 pm

gaston_kalash wrote:
jackalo626 wrote:While your experience is valid in having better luck with ar15's over AK's, it is not the general consensus with most people of that being true. Example: cars have certain common beliefs and if you were to put money on what newer car is more reliable for instance a Toyota Camry or a Chrysler 300 6 cylinder, then I can't imagine many people would say the Chrysler but I'm sure you'd find some knuckleheads to say that it was. Point is if I owned a bad Camry that gave me problems then like you i'd try the Chrysler because I've been burned no matter what others say. Ps this isn't calling AR's Chryslers lol.
exactly. My FIME ak was ten times the gun than any of my arsenals even my wasr 10 was good considering what I paid for it. I'm still a AK fan but I'll be driving a AR for a while pun intended lol.

glad that came out right because I was waiting for it to be butchered of my context. I say to hell with choosing anyways and just get several of each.

Toddstang
Global Mod
Global Mod
Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 102 times

Post by Toddstang » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:12 pm

Dam good thread so far!
I wouldn't choose a Chrysler or Toyota though. I would shoot both with an AK and AR.

1fastmach1

Post by 1fastmach1 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:52 pm

I am of the opinion to have a few of each. :)

Return to “AK-47”